Do you think all parents should be certified for CPR including infant and children CPR?

bjw_053109

Asked by bjw_053109 at 8:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think it would be good for all parents to take a class to teach you how to deal with more than just cpr situations. Give the parents a general knowledge of First Aid and HOW TO STAY CALM.
    Anonymous

• I think it would be a good thing.
    Anonymous

• yep.. why wouldn't you want to be?
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 8:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Just to clarify I am indeed certified...its required for my field of work. And even if I wasn't I feel it is a necessary thing to know as a parent.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 8:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• yeah, its a great idea. if ur child needs cpr, chances are ems would not be there fast enough. with my oldest dd, she was premature. so they made me and dh take an infant cpr class before they would let us take her home. we never had to use the info we learned, but its nice having that security
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yes, in the case of something bad happening I want to be able to provide my child w/ all the lifesaving skills I can. 911 doesn't always work & isn't always effective. Did you know that 911 operators are NOT required to be trained in cpr? How would you like to call in the case of your child not breathing & be told "uhhhh I don't know how to do it either". Emergencies, like natural disasters are things that you should prepare yourself to go thru yourself. If someone who knows more than you happens to show up then hey its your lucky day. When push comes to shove the only one you can count on all the time is yourself.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 8:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• would be a good thing to do.
    where can you go to get certified?

Anonymous

• Anon :04 I did mine through American Red Cross...through my employer though. Contact the nearest Red Cross office or try clinics and hospitals they should be able to help you find locations offering classes. I know my employer would let non employees take the class for a fee I think they were charging like $15 or something but I can't be sure because my spot in the class was paid by the agency I work for.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• look up your city & cpr certification. Most hospitals offer it.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Are you serious Nyx7?!? They aren't required? That's just plain stupidity as far as I'm concerned if they are the emergency # we rely on I think they should ABSOLUTELY BE REQUIRED to have CPR training.
    bjw_053109

Answer by bjw_053109 at 9:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010