4 wheel drive vs all wheel drive...

what is the difference??
I am siting in my house watching the blizzard outside. Not planning on going anywhere, but curious.
I recently got a 99 explorere and it is all wheel drive. What does this mean? Good for driving in snow or no? Keep OD on or no?
LOL
Thanks!

mommymeg03

Asked by mommymeg03 at 8:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Means the same thing, 4wd usually means it turns off and on where all wheel is always 4 wheel drive it is great for snow
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• 4 wheel drive you put it in 4 wheels. All wheel its always on. They both do great in the snow. All wheel drive will make you get suckier gas milage. Unless, you live in Alaska or some other place that there is always snow on the ground then, you should just get a 4x4. OD as in over drive? You shouldnt have that on unless you are going over 60 miles an hour. You usuallu use that when you are on the interstate.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:03 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• yes OD as in over drive
    lol
    I feel like an idiot right now.....I drove stick shift for so many years, and then just went from an auto civic to an auto all wheel drive explorer
    you would think I just started driving with the question LOL
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• lol. To tell you the truth I only knew what 4x4 and all wheel meant. My dad had to tell me about the OD part lol. I use to keep mine on all the time.
    armywife2009101

Answer by armywife2009101 at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• All-wheel-drive is great in the snow because all the wheels are in charge of the direction and grip all of the time.

4-wheel-drive is usually an optional gear setting for jeeps and trucks that you turn on in time of need.

...and yeah, I would turn off the overdrive because it reduces your torque to get you out of slippery situations (it's ideal for clean roads and high speeds, not messy roads and low speeds).

What you want to do if you start to slip on the snow or ice in an all-wheel-drive is actually let go of the steering wheel until you feel the tires start to grip the road again then re-take control of the direction. With all the wheels looking for grip, it should happen quickly with plenty of time to avoid problems. It's little scary to let go, but it's much better to trust your all-wheel-drive to do it's job and find grip, than for you to try to steer out of the slide and make things worse.
    mogencreative

Answer by mogencreative at 9:10 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• As long as you have good tires under it, you'll do fine. You can have the best vehicle for winter weather, but if you don't have good tires, you've got nothing. I have an AWD CUV and it does much better than my hubby's 4WD pickup in this awful weather.
    Anonymous