How can I get my 2 week old baby to poop?

She hasnt pooped since monday at 1:00pm and I've tried Kryo syrup, and still nothing. BTW she's mainly breast fed.

Kable0120

Asked by Kable0120 at 9:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• massage her tummy in a circular motion, don't worry too much, her digestive system's still developing & adjusting. If her belly's not rock hard to the touch & she's not crying in pain she's fine.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i know you aren't suppose to give babies juice but i had the same problem and the doctor told me a little bit of pear juice watered down of course half and half... works!!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Our doctor told us when my DD was about this age to do rectal stimulation, we stuck a rectal thermometer in and she squirted right away.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:01 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• None of the above needed...breastfed babies barely poop! There's very little waste of the materials in breastmilk. As long as baby isn't struggling to pass hard dry pellets, then no worries.

If there IS a problem with consistency...more nursing, less formula. Breastmilk is a laxative.

Don't do Karo again...it's a botulism risk just like honey. And rectal stimulation isn't a good idea because they can become dependent on it. Leave her hiney alone. **smile**

Answer by gdiamante at 9:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• all of the above answers work. also try gas drops. they will help her relax enough to poop. i would also say u should drink lots of juice, bc what u get, she gets. good luck
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• if you're worried, you could bicycle her legs-- it can stimulate movement.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 9:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I had to change my baby boys infant formula it was causing him to be very constipated...i remember one time his poop was sooo hard that i had to pry it gently out of his little bum, it was HORRIBLE.. so iw as like thats it something needs to be done, and put him on another formula that was sooo much better, he ate and slept better, pooped normally finally!!!
    protectivemompa

Answer by protectivemompa at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I don't know if this would work, but are you get enough fiber? Like I said I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it or not, but it can't hurt. I would load up on grains, and fruits and see if that helps.
    mazonmom

Answer by mazonmom at 9:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Is she acting cranky or in pain? If not, then don't worry about it. BF babies don't need to poop everyday, they can easily go a week or so without pooping and it's totally normal. If she is grunting or straining to poop, then she needs help with it and I'd call the dr before trying karo syrup or any other home remedies.
    mnt_2_b_mommy

Answer by mnt_2_b_mommy at 9:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• it depends if the baby breastfeed or formula feed. bf babies can go up to 2 wks without pooping and formula feed around 2 days. my dd was ff and she dint poop everyday. so dont worry. as long as she isnt cranky or her belly looks swollen she is k.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:02 PM on Feb. 5, 2010