Dose walking to induce labor really work

i wanted to know if walking to induce labor really works if so how much should i walk and should i bring water with me

itsagirl200801

Asked by itsagirl200801 at 9:05 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• yes!!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:06 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i walked around walmart for 2 hrs looking at baby things and house stuff and the next day i went into labor!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:07 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• it really depends on how far along u are. if u arent dialated or ephased, its not gonna do much good. but other than that it does normally work. how long u have to walk just depends on how far into labor u are. and i would take some water, bc once u get to the hospital, they will only allow u ice chips.
    with my second, i walked for about 4 hrs, then went home. as soon as i got home, i started having contractions.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Not for me!! Nothing really works unless your body and baby are ready to go through labor! I walked and walked and walked for days.... weeks.... I was a week and a half over due! They stripped my membranes and I just kept on walking that day and still nothing! Even had sex and still nothing!! My baby just did not want to come out of me!!
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:12 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yes it does help that is why they have you walk at the hospital, and yes drink water, and as for the hospital "allowing" only ice chips well they cannot tell you what you can and cannot have you are in control, there is no reason not to eat and drink through labor it has actually been proven better for both mother and baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It worked for me and it's what the hospital had my adult dd do

Answer by admckenzie at 9:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• imo no. those who say it did, it was coincidence ;) i walked about a mile monday through friday through 41 weeks, then i had my son on a monday, after not walking all weekend. i think it's just that lots of pregnant women walk around full term, and lots of pregnant women go into labor around full term so some are bound to say the walking led to labor. jmho
    Anonymous

• Walking helps relax the pelvic muscles and stretch the ligaments so that your hips can get as wide as possible, then it also uses gravity to put the baby in a good birthing position, and the exercise or it can stimulate contractions, it also gives off natural hormones that are released at the onset of labor.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i got my membranes stripped on a tuesday, went to the gym to walk that night, wednesday and thursday. my water broke thursday night!
    K-RydesMommy

Answer by K-RydesMommy at 9:34 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My hubby and I walked every night from about 36 weeks on. I delivered 4 days early. It's won't make you go into labor if your body isn't ready, but it can help get the baby low in the pelvis, and put some pressure on your cervix, which can help it ripen. The exercise can't hurt you, and you should ABSOLUTELY bring water (and a cell phone).
    Walking isn't a guarantee, but sex and walking are among the most effective ways to bring on labor. Sex works well, because the prostaglandins in semen are the same hormones that they give you to induce labor (they ripen your cervix), and the contractions from your orgasm can help bring on more contractions.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:07 AM on Feb. 6, 2010