Do you feed the children without knowing?

DO you feed the children visiting your house?
When you feed this child do you know if they have food allergies?
Do you even think about it?
Do you know what anaphylactic shock is?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:11 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Food & Drink

• if i don't know the kid i don't feed it... if it's parents here then i ask.
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Same here.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• when i watch other ppl's children, i always ask if they have food allergies. if they do, i make sure they dont have nething they are allergic to. i am very careful about this because my mother and i both have extreme good allergies. most ppl dont kno what anaphylatic shock is. but i do believe if a child has an allergy a parent is aware of, they should tell any one who may have to feed that child at any point about the allergy.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i meant food allergies not good allergies
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 9:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• What age child are we talking about here. Any child over the age of 5 should know what they are allergic to and let the other family know. Same for the mom of the child should let the other parents know.. If someone were taking care of my child I would make sure they knew my child had allergies to this food or that. It is my responsibility to inform them,not theirs job to ask.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 9:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i'll feed the kid if i know him/her well enough, or if the mom is around for me to ask first. but i do feel bad when my kids are eating something and i don't offer any to the other kids i don't really know. in my culture, it's considered rude not to offer food to guests, especially children. but since i was born and raised in the US, i know how anal some parents can be, so i usually have the kids i don't know ask their mommy first.
    Anonymous

• yes I know what anaphalactic shock is.. and if a kid is at my house I know if they have allergies, as my son gets older I would expect that his friends when then be able to tell me if they have allergies
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The kid's that come over to my house from my neighborhood, I know them and their parents well enough to know if there are any allergies. When my son has someone over from school, I always ask the parent.

Anonymous

• I always ask before feeding a new child in my house. I have friends that are gluten free, some sugar free, etc. It's always polite to ask what the child is allowed and not. Really though, if a child has severe allergies that the parent is aware of, they should really step up and make sure the other person knows or get a medical alert bracelet with the info for the child to wear out.
    Anonymous

• I know most of the kids who come to my house and have known them for years. If somebody new shows up, then i ask if there is anything they specifically don't eat. That way they can tell me about not only allergies, but also about personal preference or if their parents don't allow them sugary treats or caffeine or whatever. My DD is 5 and when someone asks her if she is allergic to any foods, or if she sees a shrimp, she will tell them she is allergic to shrimp. So I would think most kids would know.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 10:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010