What are some things college kids need in a dorm room?

My step-daughter will be going to college in the fall. She will be living in a dorm room. What are some of the things she will need? I think they supply a bed, and desk, but think that's all. What would be some good things to start buying her. I will be getting a lot of stuff from thrift stores if possible. Please suggest some things. Thank you!!

wmjsease

Asked by wmjsease at 9:14 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in

• def. Ramen noodles!! and Mac-n-cheese!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:15 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• condoms and a scrapbook
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• lmao @ nicolemstacy

xtra long sheet set, comfortor, I used a pretty curtain or shower curtain as a closet door, plastic thing to keep her shower stuff in, plastic totes or under bed drwars (sp?), or shelves or something, bulletin board, small dry erase board, flip flops for the shower, microwave, hot plate if her school allows it, mini fridge
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 9:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Mini fridge(lockable), microwave, computer, shower tote with shower shoes, bed lifts so she can store items under bed, bedding xtra long twin, storage cubes, lamp, comfy chair to relax in, a fan if it is a warm climate, TV, lockable food storage cabinet, firesafe for jewelry and other important things. Dishes microwaveable,
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• just make sure any appliances you get her like the fridge, doesnt require a permit from the school. my fridge did and i think the microwave too. i'm pretty sure they like to approve things like that.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 7:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• damn truelastanmom you took the words right out of my mouth lol
    nakita72

Answer by nakita72 at 8:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Cleaning products-- the school may have a house keeping service for the common areas but not for the rooms. The room will be filthy when she moves in. It will probably smell horrible.

Vertical storage units. Something that is tall and narrow. Dorms are small but the ceilings are high-- 12 feet or more. Using vertical space is a must.

The over head lighting is crap. She needs her own lamp that will clamp to her bed or give her concentrated light to read in bed while the roomie is asleep.

A bathrobe with good coverage for walking back and forth to the bathroom is a must. One with pockets is best.

A label maker. A 3-hole punch. She does not have space for a printer. The dorm has a computer lab in it or near by where she can print. Printers are worthless, break, run out of ink, and everyone will pester her to borrow it.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 11:30 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• first of all have her find out who her room mates are, have them decide who is bringing what, so you don't end up with 3 mini fridges. Find out what is in the dorm room itself.
    My daughter's dorm room has a full bathroom and mini kitchen. They have a toaster, she says they live on toast! a coffee maker, I got my daughter a mr.coffee expresso machine for Christmas. Towels, lots of towels! laundry basket, laundry supplies. a lamp, a fan,, plastic stacking drawers, hangers, under the bed storage.
    cleaning wipes, a waste basket, alarm clock...also find out if they can hang things on the walls. alot of places don't allow nail holes.
    Really though just have her and the new roomies decide what they are bringing. one moving in day me and the mother's of my daughters room mates went to target to buy everything they didn't already bring. If you need more ideas just pm me.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:08 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• depends on if it's a shared bath or a hall bathroom, single room dorm or more like an apartment. If it's just a single room, you'll need twin XL sheets, pillow, blankets. Mini fridge (really is a must for drinks and snacks) and microwave. Folding chair/chairs. TV and accessories if needed/wanted. phone. computer. storage. Decorations, hamper, light for desk, towels, shower shoes, shower cady (if a hall bath), bathrobe. cleaning supplies for room (don't need a whole lot though).

Just look around her room and she what she wants to bring (but remember space is limited), get with her roommates to see what they are bringing too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on Feb. 8, 2010

• extra long sheets-definitely. The beds in dorm rooms are usually a foot longer then a regular twin bed so regular sheets won't fit on them.
    My college had rules about the fridge/microwave. We were supposed to rent them from the school (for $150/semester) but I bought my own the 2nd semester and no one really cared as long as they were low wattage. I still use that microwave when we aren't living with my dad (and it's been 10 years since I've been in college).
    As for other stuff...it really depends on how big the room is. Many dorm rooms are tiny (nothing like they show on TV) and you only have a few square feet of living space.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:27 PM on Feb. 8, 2010