Putting alot of baking soda in my mouth?

I''m 38 weeks pregnant and since 36 weeks I started to put a lot of sea salt in my mouth and just sometimes crunch on it lightly but I wouldn't swallow it- it was almost like an an addiction I would do it before and after meals..and just swish it around with water and spit it out..
now I started to use baking soda and just swish it around or put it straight on my tongue and spit it out ..I don't swallow...

Anyway..does anyone know why I have this sudden weird habit. but I do like my teeth feeling clean :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• it is just one of those weird pregnancy things, my doc told me once about one of her past patients that they actually chewed on dryer sheets.....weird!!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Have you told your doctor? Sometimes this can be a serious sign of a bad condition of it can be a sign of gestational diabetes.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:18 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my mother brushes her teeth with baking soda and salt...maybe try that one! lol but baking soda isn't good when your preggers! salt isn't too great either lol...
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Pregnancy can make you crave a lot of things but this sounds like an iron or sodium deficiency to me. Call your dr & see what they recommend.
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 9:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Even though you are not swallowing the salt and baking soda, they are still seeping into your blood stream.
    Anonymous

• Anon :24 - How are they seeping into my bloodstream?? please explain
    Anonymous

• You swallow more saliva than you know when things are in your mouth and baking soda and salt can be absorbed through your skin into the bloodstream.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Your mouth is nothing but mucous membrane. On the tongue and against the cheek are places well suited for different medications to be absorbed quickly. Depending on how much and how long you leave it in your mouth you are absorbing some into your system. You really should tell your Dr. about this. He will probably do blood work to check your electrolyte balance. Many times pregnant women crave minerals their bodies are lacking. Baking soda (sodium bicarbinate) can cause elevated blood pressure, sweeling and adversely effect the muscles in your body, including the heart, if over ingested. It might be a weird , no reason craving...but I would check it out to be sure it isn't something else..or causing other problems.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The doc should check your blood for iron levels and minerals. Chalky and salty cravings are generally considered symptoms of pica-- the desire to eat non-food items. Even if you aren't swallowing. You need to seriously evaluate your iron and mineral intake and call the doc.
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 9:36 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• just make sure you tell your doctor..with my first baby i want to eat soap and drink bubbles!!!LOL she gave me extra vitamins...i havent craved them since...now on my third pregnancy
    rosie2guns

Answer by rosie2guns at 12:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2010