Has anyone else heard of this?

A girl at work was saying that if she goes on deployment, her ex can take their baby and say that she's neglecting her daughter b/c of deployment. I had never heard of this until today, it just blows my mind!

nicolemstacy

Asked by nicolemstacy at 9:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I've never heard of that.
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• i think he is just playing her, i dont see any judge citing a mom or terminating rights because her country needs her.
    Anonymous

• No that is not true at all, she has to set up legal guidelines before leaving for her kids, and he has no foot to stand on in this case.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:23 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I highly doubt it, there are very strong laws in place protecting custody rights of parents in military service.
    Anonymous

• i hear something like that too...but I really dont know anything about it..
    glamomomo

Answer by glamomomo at 9:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Well her family isn't nearby and she offered to let him take their daughter for the 6 months or so that she is gone, and that was his rebuttle. She went to the legal officer, and he confirmed that it is possible.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 9:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• She needs to ammend their custody agreement before she leaves. No he cannot take her kid because she is deployed. She should/can give her daughter to anybody she pleases if she has sole custody. They also have a way for her to stay if she doesn't have a caretaker for her daughter. She needs to be talking to the right people about this.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 12:10 AM on Feb. 7, 2010