How do I get my puppy to stop jumping on people?

Ginger is a 7-month-old mixed breed dog with tons of energy. She loves to jump up to greet people, which was cute when she was little, but now that she weighs 30-pounds she can knock my youngest one down. Any tips on how to stop this annoying habit?

Michellesays

Asked by Michellesays at 9:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pets

• Do not give her any attention at all when you touch a dog even if it is in a negative way to them they have gotten what they wanted,attention.There are several ways to teach this but i would start with when she jumps turn your back to her. Do not say anything, don't touch and don't look at her. When she is on the ground you can pet her. Consistancy is the key. I would also work on makeing her sit command stronger and as she is approaching you ask her to sit this tends to slow them down and they usually will sit once they get to you. Eventually she will learn that she must sit to greet people. You can even use a treat keeping it low lure her to you and get her to sit. I would get everyone in the house envolved in this even the youngest depending on how old he or she is. For dogs that are really bad jumpers i will set them up by putting them on leash and stepping on it so that they correct themselves as i am working on the sit.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• go to http://www.cesarsway.com/ that should help
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 9:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Pull her off each time and tell her NO JUMP she will get the point eventually.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Bring your knee into the dog's chest or face whenever she jumps up.
    justluvinmyson

Answer by justluvinmyson at 9:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I was going to write EXACTLY what kyliesMom5 wrote. Couldn't of said it better. Just don't give in and even ask company to get involved with this training.
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010