Is it okay to lose weight during pregnancy?

I just found out that I' m pregnant. I think I'm about 5 weeks give or take a few days. We're very excited, but at the sametime I'm a little depressed. I had hoped to lose quite a bit of excess weight (40 pounds) before getting pregnant again. Its all weight due to my last pregnancy(I had a little extra before that too) a little over a year ago. So, if I still eat healthy, but continue to work out frequently, do you think it'll be okay if I actually lose weight instead of really gaining any? I'm thinking I'll end up losing about 20 pounds in the next few months (guessing that the 20 pounds I don't lose will be because of gaining/keeping weight for baby and I'll lose that after he/she gets here)... Has anyone had an experience like this? I don't go to the Dr. for another 2 weeks, so I'm just curious.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:27 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pregnancy

• There are studies that say obese women should not gain or if possible they should lose small amounts of weight while pregnant, if you are not obese then no you should not lose weight it isn't healthy for you or the baby.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 9:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It really depends on your build and your own health history, but if you are eating right and keeping up with some kind of exercise plan, you'd probably be fine to lose a little weight or at least not gain much. Make sure you talk to your dr about it.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It's not recommended. Ask your doctor about it and do not gain more than 15 pounds this pregnancy...total.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 9:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If you are over 200 lbs, I think that would be okay. You can still work out, but do not restrict you calorie intake. Trying to lose weight is not recommended. If you are under 150 lbs, definitely do not try to lose weight.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I'm in the same situation. My OB said that if I'm eating normally and taking my prenatal vitamins there is no problem with a decrease in weight. I lost 30-40lbs because I threw up so much, but they weren't worried because I was like 80lbs overweight.
    Don't do too harsh of exersizing....walking and stretching is about all you can do....just be careful! Good luck and congrats on the little one to be! xoxo
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 9:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• OP HERE : I'm 5'8" and weigh 180. I use to weigh 137 about 6 months before I got pregnant with DD. I started gaining weight as we were trying to concieve. I think it was pure stress. I don't think I'm obese. I'm just not comfortable with the way my body looks at the moment and would like to be back in my pre-pregnancy jeans.
    Anonymous

• your doctor should monitor it cosely. i lost 16 lbs in my first trimester. just bc i walk a ton, drink lots of water and only felt like eating lite healthy foods. baby was growing fine and actually measuring big. make sure you take your prenatals, and dont overdo it w the excersize.

i am overweight so i was advised not to gain more than 10-15 lbs this pregnancy. so far i have gained back 1 lb, so i am still 15 down.im happy about it, but more happy that im getting helthy for myself and my baby.
    erika_wright

Answer by erika_wright at 9:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If it's just a case of not liking how jeans fit, I think you should just keep eating healthy and not try to lose weight then. For 5'8", I don't think 180 is obese. See if your dr can give you a plan to help keep weight gain in check, but I don't think you should be trying to lose anything til the baby is born.
    raybird1031

Answer by raybird1031 at 9:39 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• saw something the other day and they weere saying losing weight when pregnant is not a good idea
    charlotsomtimes

Answer by charlotsomtimes at 9:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• It doesn't sound like you're obese. With your weight the way it is, it's recommended that you gain about 15 pounds, generally. 7-8 of that will be baby, the rest will be amniotic fluid and placenta, as well as increased blood volume. I am obese, and my doctor told me to keep my weight (as in, not gain any weight). In the first 30 weeks, I actually lost 10 lbs. I had no appetite, and craved fruit when I was hungry. Then week 30 hit, and I went on a baking binge, and ended up with a net gain of 12 lbs, which all came out with birth. I would definitely talk to your doctor. If you've been working out, it's okay to keep it up (again, check with your doc; certain exercised are not considered safe). Just listen to your body, and be sure to have lots of water with you. If you START to think you might need to slow down, STOP. You will get faint really easily. Also, keep a snack with you, too, to keep your blood sugar level.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2010