not sure if i should worry? feedings for 3 day old

okay my son is 3 days old, and he eats about every 6 hours. he will do like 30 min on each side when he does feed, but then he will sleep for six hours then want his next feeding. i have tried to get him to wake up but he doesnt want to. he did the same thing while we were in the hospital and they just told me to keep trying. i have tried undressing him and all that other stuff they showed me at the hospital but he just sleeps. so should i worry that he only eats every 6 hours? oh and he has plenty of wet and dirty diapers.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if he has 6-8 wet diapers a day, he is fine. if you had meds during labor then it can take quite a while to clear HIS system, and he'll be feeling crappy. if you are really worried, try ticking the arch of his foot with an ice cube to wake him (since you said nothing else seems to work). nursing, he should be eating every couple of hours, and that is to ensure YOUR SUPPLY. try turning lights on, undressing, all that jazz. I had one who went through about a month like that, and the picked right up.

so long as you have 6-8 wet diaper a day, and his urine is not dark- he is absolutely FINE.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• only worry if he is losing weight or not gaining. both my toddlers had doctors checkups at 3 days old... don't know about other areas.
    If you are unsure of his weight, call and make a peds appointment and they will weigh him, and let you know what their medical opinion is.
    My kids both had weight gain issues as newborns and I had to supplement
    Anonymous

• He might not be hungry. My dd would sleep for 6 hours during the night, even the first night that we came home. I really wouldnt worry about it. And as far as the weight gain goes, they usually do lose a little bit the first few days. Now if he still isnt eatting in a couple days I would worry maybe a little bit but the only one who should be giving you guidance is the doctor. Its a possibility that he isnt getting enough and thats why hes so tired, but then again hes newborn- thats what newborns do.
    Anonymous

• Don't panic. Previous answers all sound very wise
    Lorelai

Answer by Lorelai at 10:24 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Sounds fine to me. If he starts losing weight or dipe count gets really low, then call the doctor. Just feed on demand and that should be fine. As he gets older he'll start eating more. Just enjoy the rest now.
    Katt709

Answer by Katt709 at 10:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• as long as you are geeting 6- 8 diapers a day and baby looks good dont worry. some bbaies bf like piranas others are more laid back about the boob.
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 11:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• If he was a little older I would say don't worry, just count diapers, but at this point if he is not nursing at least 8-12 times a day then you may have a hard time bringing in a full milk supply.
    Are you swaddling him? If you are, don't do it during the day. Hold him in only a diaper, on your bare chest for several hours a day (get in bed with him, you need the rest and it is great bonding time). This gives him the chance to start to root around and nurse off and on a lot more.
    Let him sleep for a 6 hour stretch one time in 24 hours, then the rest of the time try and get him to nurse at least every 2 hours.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:20 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• dont worry about it. he will be fine. My daughter is the same way but she just isnt pooping much.lol
    Kable0120

Answer by Kable0120 at 12:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The first few posts I agree with.
    I would also, if I were you, pump or hadn express every two hours both sides so that your can fill i the gaps and build supply. As a pp suggested if you had drugs during labor the baby is goint to be extra sleepy. Keep trying to encourage more nursing.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010