Is anyone a licensed esthetician in Florida or Texas?

I rescently decided to go to school for cosmetology but the hours were less than flexible. For that reason, I switched to esthetics because the hours were more flexible and I could finish faster. I'm currently living in Hawaii due to my husband being stationed here.

I intend to do the full cosmetology course in the future but for now it just won't work for me.

Here in Hawaii one is required to have conpleted 600 hours of schooling to obtain an esthetics license. How many hours are required in Florida or Texas?

The reason why I'm asking about these states in particular is because my husband is currently deployed to Iraq and his unit is scheduled to go to Afghanistan in 2012 and I'm considering going back to either of those states during that time cause I have family there. I want to know whether or not I should plan on going back to school. Thanks.

MomOfThree0607

Asked by MomOfThree0607 at 9:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I am licensed in Florida. Florida requires 260 hours of education to become licensed as an esthetician.
    Professional licenses are regulated by each state which means if you become licensed in Florida than you will only be able to practice in Florida. If you move to another state you could have your hours from Florida transferred but you would have to go back to school to complete the hours required in another state.
    There was a woman that had a full cosmetology license in New York state for 30 years. New York requires 1000 hours. When she moved here she had to complete the additional 200 hours (Florida requires 1200 hours) before she could be licensed in Florida.
    You can check this site for information - http://www.beautyschool.com/guides/licensing
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 6:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Thanks. At least I know that if I move to Florida, I'll have more than enough hours for my esthetician's license. My plans for moving back to the mainland are 2 years away but the reason I ask is because I can't just hop on a plane. I have to jump through several hoops which include housing, transportation and my kids' best interests.
    MomOfThree0607

Answer by MomOfThree0607 at 10:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2010