My son just developed Thrush Mouth yesterday. Is there anything I can do for it? Also he has had these little red bumps on his face for a few weeks (which I thought was neonatol acne) but this morning they are also now on his chest. Any ideas what this could be?

For those that don't know. Thrush mouth is a yeast infection in the mouth. I'm not sure what causes it and i'm not sure how to handle it.

Robin438

Asked by Robin438 at 10:29 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• http://health.nytimes.com/health/guides/disease/thrush/overview.html
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 10:31 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• go to the doctor for antibiotics. as for the bumps, i know my baby gets bumps sometimes but they go away within a few hours usually. ask the doctor while you're there. thrush can spread to your nipple so you will need biotics too
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 10:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Take him to the Doctor they'll give him a prescription for Nystatin a syrup you give him as for the acne. New babies skin has to adjust to the air around him. He has been in water for 9 months. Babies skin will go through many changes.
    JaymieZ

Answer by JaymieZ at 10:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• take him to doc for the thrush. The bumps could be allergies.
    Anonymous

• Nystatin only works 50% of the time. I used it twice with my youngest son and it still came back. The LC I called recommended gentian violet and it worked like a charm. You can get it at a health food store or pharmacy OTC. I was told to swab baby's mouth once a day for seven days. I used a q-tip to get his whole mouth, inside cheeks, tongue, gums, everywhere, and my nipples as well, if you are bf'ing you need to treat yourself or you'll just end up passing it back to baby. You also need to sterilize anything else that goes in baby's mouth, pacis, bottle nipples, toys, etc. GV is very purple and can be very messy. It will stain everything it comes in contact with, skin and clothing, so use lots of bibs and older clothes. What I would do is swab my son's mouth and then nurse, so he wasn't drooling as much. The GV cleared up our thrush and it didn't come back.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 10:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I went to a Naturalpathic Practitioner who prescribed a very strong probiotic in powder form that I had to put on my pinky for my son to suck off once a day. It cleared up the thrush quickly. If you are breast feeding chances are that the thrust came through your milk. A yeast infection is hard to rid yourself of but it can be done. The natural methods are longer but less damaging to the immune system. The red bumps are probably an allergic reaction to a food that you may be eating if you breastfeed or maybe even a detergent or soap you are using. My son had a reaction to dairy and to the laundry detergent I was using when he was very young.
    jules531

Answer by jules531 at 10:58 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The doctor can give you stuff to treat thrush but I found what worked best for my DD when she was a little baby was something we got at the health food store. It was probiotic something or other. If you have a good health food store near you, go in and talk to the employee. We tried EVERYTHING the doctor gave us and it wouldn't completely go away. One week with the probiotic stuff and it was gone. It made her head smell weird lol but that was way better than her having thrush.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:16 PM on Feb. 5, 2010