Dog food recommendations?

I have XL dogs. They have the worst gas.

We have tried corn-free, wheat-free, hypoallergenic, raw, home made, and now we're on grain free by Taste of the Wild. We won't do EVO/ Innova bc it gives them the poops. They have no "allergies" and they get probiotics.

I cannot stand to have them in the room. They are so repulsive they will not sit together. They will actually gas themselves out of the room.

What in the world do you feed your fart-sack dog?

ecodani

Asked by ecodani at 10:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Pets

• taste of the wild....... put a sprinkle of warm water on it to activate the good bacteria and they will suck it down!! my dog loves it
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 10:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Personally the only thing that has worked for my 2 labs is Science Diet. I have tried a few different kinds of food and the gas was always bad but when I switched to science diet I noticed less gas. BUT I have noticed everytime either one of the dogs get a bite of human food of any kind ( which doesn't happen much) that they do get pretty bad gas. So maybe make sure your dogs aren't getting ANYTHING but dog food (and dog treats) GL
    staciaw

Answer by staciaw at 11:21 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You might try California Natural it is a bland diet ment for dogs with allergies and dogs with sensitive tummies. It might be worth trying. Both my adult dogs are fed this and they don't have gas. I am fostering a puppy right now and when we first got him my pet store was closed so i had to settle for puppy chow and it was awful that pup had the worst gas. The next day i got him Verus puppy food and gradually made the switch. What a differance.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Try mixing a little(a couple of tbsp depending on your dogs size you may have to play around with this to get the proper amount) of canned pumpkin in their food I have know people that swear it works. G/L. And another suggestion maybe there anal glands need to be expressed also.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Forgot to add it may take a week or more to see results it's not a "instant"(adding pumpkin) fix. I know not what you want to hear but just wanted to tell you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• They are currently doing Taste of the Wild. It's miserable. We tried Cali Naturals last and we had farts and spit up. I hate cleaning up puke.

Honestly, the one thing that seems to tame the gas is if I make their food myself: cooked grains, raw veggies, boiled meats, and raw meats. I really really really wish I could buy kibble like regular people. I told them that if they want a personal chef they need to go get jobs. Lazy communists!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 7:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We feed our dogs lamb and rice dogfood. If you change food a lot that might be causing the gas problem..
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 10:23 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We do homemade, but are slowly switching to raw. Also, if your dogs gulp their food.. that's extra air that needs to go somewhere. Look for foods that do not have corn listed (science diet). That's just a filler and has no nutritional value. Also, like PP stated.. switching food too often can lead to gas and poop problems. It takes a normal dog a little over 2 weeks to get use to a food. AND you want to incorporate the new food slowly. Mixed with the older food a little over time til you are just feeding the new food.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 10:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Lamb and Rice is what I would feed my Pit for breakfast...dinner I would give her homemade food.
    OneToughMami

Answer by OneToughMami at 10:56 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Blue Buffalo or Natures Recipe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Feb. 7, 2010