How many times did you tell your child "No" today?

sweetphoenix529

Asked by sweetphoenix529 at 10:44 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• lost count!
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 10:45 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• honestly i only see her about 4 hours on a good day, and it seems that i tell her know about 40 times in that small time period! i hate it, i feel like i get up go to work then come home and get on to her all evening till she goes to bed!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 10:46 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Five. I learned long ago to try not to say no. I usually say, yes when you are 15 if you still want to. *Usually they forget what they wanted. I also try to say, well, lets see...did you really think about this and why it would be good or bad. (Only works for over threes...) LOL It gets easier...hang in there. :)
    Anonymous

• Op- I found this on webMD And it got me curious, since I feel like I say "no" a lot MORE than 400 times.. http://www.webmd.com/parenting/features/say-no-without-saying-no
    sweetphoenix529

Answer by sweetphoenix529 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I had to tell my sixteen year old "no" about going to a party. The roads weren't safe to be out on and he is very sad. I kinda felt bad.
    MACY7108

Answer by MACY7108 at 11:13 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Umm I have lost count. My son is a year old and into everything. He knows what he can and can't touch but he is to the point where he is testing my boundries.

Danielle
    http://www.momsforahealthyhome.com
    ddsunshine

Answer by ddsunshine at 11:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• The word "No" isn't often used in our house. I try to be more specific with him, because it will benefit him later to know exactly what I am asking him not to do. I also use a polite technique as well. By using "Please", "Thank You", etc. I say "Please do not get into the cabnit" and if he walks away then I say "Thank You". Or "That was very nice of you, thank you for not getting into it." Don't get me wrong "No" has come up, but not as often as I thought I'd have to say it when my son was born. He's generally a good boy, there are only three things he really is adament about. Getting into the TV cabnit, getting into the recylcing, and getting to the white cabnits in our dinning room.

Everything else he pretty much leaves alone. I usually only have to ask him once to leave it alone and he'll walk away. In a day I'll probably give him one time out. The most it's ever been is three.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:48 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• I learned with my oldest that overuse of 'NO" can be dangerous. He became immune to it. One day he was going to touch the inside of the over door (he came crawling up as I was taking something out. He was going to put his hand down to pull up. I screamed No as I hurried to put the pan down. It wasn't the No..but the scream that stopped him. From then on I tried to use others phrases and use NO only in emergencies. With all the rest of them when I said NO..they stopped immediately.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 12:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I think it was 10 times..... I always tell her "not right now" or "wait a sec" and she usually forgets 10 min later but sometimes she drives me crazy and I say no OVER and OVER it derives me insane!!!!! Poor kid! It gets to the point she talks I am like "quiet for a
    min" and I hide in the bathroom for a few mins! How sad to hide from your own kid!!!
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 1:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I am not gonna fell bad fro saying no to my child sheesh
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2010