My 12 week old has a clogged tear duct. We took him to the doctor and was told to massage it. Which we have been but it doesn't seem to be working. Any suggestions?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 10:47 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We had the same problem with our little guy. The dr gave us some ointment to put on it everyday which helped. I can't remember the name though........but ask the dr. they should know.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 10:50 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My first daughter had this too. I was still breastfeeding her at the time and I was told to try rubbing just a little breast milk on the duct and message it. Oddly enough, it worked. I tried the damp warm wash cloth and messaging it, but nothing.
    things_not_sane

Answer by things_not_sane at 10:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my daughter had the same problem, but he said it could take up to 3 weeks to go away. no ointments. just wipe his/her eye with warm clean washcloths everytime you think of it, and kinda press it in the corner of the eye and rub it gently around for a second. sometimes more stuff comes out when you do that. after a while it'll go away, and they'll be good as new! :)
    sandypops

Answer by sandypops at 10:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• A warm compress on her eye helps relieve the inflamation that can be causing the tear duct to clog. Then massage it. Do this a couple times a day.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:30 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My dd had this too, I jst cleaned it a million times a day with warm wash cloth and picked the gunk off her lashes and finally one day she just woke up and was fine!! I know its really gross but it goes away and I was told if it didn't by a certain age *cant remember what age* they'd have to probe it.
    graciepoo143

Answer by graciepoo143 at 11:51 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• A warm cloth over it for a few minutes, keep it clean. My son had one when he was just a few weeks old. The ped office told me if he didn't have a fever or any other symptoms then it should be fine and would go away on its own.
    Nesa_Z

Answer by Nesa_Z at 10:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2010