This guy I know from high school is still in love with me. This is from like 10 years ago. What do I do? I want to be friends with him, and I've tried to tell him it wasn't meant to be, but he keeps writing me messages on facebook, and little fictional stories about us being together. What should I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:53 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Relationships

• If he cannot disconnect his "Love" for you and just be friends, then you probably shouldn't be his friend. It's not fair to you or him to continue contact with him, as he will only continue to hold onto that hope that one day he'll be able to sway you. Him sharing his feelings, fictional stories about you as a couple are only ways of him to try and convience you. It's needy, it's obsessive, and it isn't someone that will let go easily if you continue to be in contact.

I say this from experience. I was in a relationship with someone and when we broke it off he just wouldn't let it go. He kept making snide remarks, 'jokes', and just everything incinuating how we weren't or should be in a relationship. Finally I had to tell him that we couldn't be friends, because he couldn't seperate his feelings from the reality of the situation.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:56 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• block him. unless you like the attention, then you should still block him.
    Anonymous

• uuummm... stories? fiction? i'd say CREEP! lol... not really, but way too attached, and not able to back off. if you are in a relationship now, this could cause tension... i'd just tell him to back off.. or de-friend him on facebook!
    tatmum

Answer by tatmum at 11:00 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• To be honest, if I knew someone like this who was making up stories about 'us' and does not get the message there is no 'us' his behavior would make me think there is something 'off' about him and I would cut ties with him and block him.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 11:52 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Yup cut ties with him. Sounds obsessive anyways and those people are SCARY
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 1:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• He's an adult right? and he's writing stories? that's weird...he needs to grow up.....you need to explain to him that it's time for him to move on...let him down easy, then block him.
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• stop being friends with him. he has no respect
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• First off all I hope you are not giving him false hope. He could be delusional. After 10 yrs. you do not know him. I would stop being friends because some people take "just friends", mean someday in the future. Be careful.
    my2kids312

Answer by my2kids312 at 8:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'd tell him to publish the stories and send me a check for inspiring him. Just block him and let it go.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2010