My 3 month old for the 1st time tonight refused my breast. So I pumped and he took the bottle. Wondering way he didn't take the breast he usually goes right to it. Could it be something I ate/ Amy ideas?

JaymieZ

Asked by JaymieZ at 11:04 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Was he overly tired? Or could he be teething? Could your breast have been extra full so the let down was too fast? Possibly something you ate and made you milk smell funny? I am just throwing somethings out there. My friend did just tell me that they had a crazy day unlike no other and at the end of the night when it was all calm her son would not nurse, so like you she pumped and he took a bottle and was back to normal the next day. I wouldn't worry about it unless it continues. Good luck!
    Anonymous

• Could also be nipple confusion. Just preferring the bottle nipple because it's easier. Ditch the bottles unless you NEED them because you work or something.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:40 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• around 2 months my son would not feed from my right breast. he would the left side just fine. the lactation consultant told me to just keep offering and if he doesn't take it, then keep pumping and within a day or 2 he was back to normal. And he has done that every now and then as well but not very often. Sometimes babies just get kinda funny, don't stress to much and just keep offering the breast first. Good luck.
    FinleyFirst

Answer by FinleyFirst at 12:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• if you give him a bottle you are sabotaging your nursing relationship. He will go back to the breast when he is hungry. I would never offer and alternative because bottle feeding is easier for them and they won't want to go back to the breast. If you want to continue breastfeeding you should lose the bottle. He will eat when he is hungry!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The first person as some good ideas. Ultimately, he'll eat if he's hungry, but he can refuse the breast if he's teething, gassy, overtired, over hungry, you're over full (can be difficult to latch), something you ate (onions, garlic, spicy food, cabbage, etc are common culprits).
    Giving a bottle can definitely make the problem worse. Milk comes faster from a bottle, translating to less work for baby for more milk.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:39 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ok so if you want to give your kid a bottle do it. I wish I had when my first one came. I had a clogged duct and then got mastitis in the same side a couple of weeks later. He would not eat on that side for a while and then when he did it was for a very short period of time. When my second came she stopped nursing on the same side at about 5 months. Who knows, babies are finicky sometimes. Keep at it and if your baby doesn't nurse don't feel bad about giving a bottle!
    whitsnutz

Answer by whitsnutz at 3:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Another thought would be thrush. Does baby have white spots in his mouth that do not wipe off?

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• If you feel you must feed him expressed milk, skip the bottle and go with a spoon, eye dropper, or cup. You don't want to use a bottle and make it so that it is easier than from the breast. Go to http://www.kellymom.com/  for a wealth of information on this topic.

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010