question about 4 yr olds...how does yours act....

so when its just u and your 4 yr old is he well behaved? if someone comes to vistit is he still well behaved or misbehaving...my son age 4 is so well behaved when its just us. he plays and watching his cartoons, eats hes an angel..but the min someone comes over he acts up. running crazy, screaming, pushing buttons, interupting. as soon as who ever is gone back to angel..and when hi misbehaves in front of people i do disapline him and time outs and all and he will be good for 15 mins just to start again. its crazy to the point were i dont want anyone over because of the headaces..what do i do?? how does your child behave or is mine the only people monster lol..he is so loveing when no one is around..and a stink bomb when someone is around. any advice is thanked.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in General Parenting

• It sounds like he is just trying to get attention from the person visiting. How better to do that than to act up?

Does he know exactly what is expected of him when company is over? Even if he does, you might need to set up a system for him. Remind him of what he should do and have a reward for doing what he is supposed to while company is there. If you (insert guidelines here), then after our company leaves we can (insert reward here). If you misbehave (insert what not do to), then (insert consequence).

It is worth a shot. And eventually, he will know what is expected and not need the set up. It might take a few months or years depending on the child, but it is worth a shot.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 11:22 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• my 4yo daughter is an angel most of the time. but when other kids are around, she does have her fits. she'll play nicely at first, until they start playing with a toy that she doesn't want to share. instead of saying "MINE MINE MINE", she gets emotional and walks away, sits in the corner and sulks while saying "i dont want to share" she's very emotional. she's like that with her little sister too. but most of the time, she's an angel. i just have to repeat myself a lot. lol
    rAbella

Answer by rAbella at 11:25 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• Sounds totally normal to me Mom. He understands your rules, yes, but yes he is testing you when others are over or the circumstances have changed. Trust me, it takes a while before they totally understand the big picture. He'll get there. Just keep instructing him on how he needs to behave at this point.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 11:28 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• You said it best "he is so loving when no one is around and a stink bomb when someone is around"...I think it's an attention thing.It could be he's trying to get yours...maybe he feels left out when company comes over because he usually gets you all to himself. -or maybe he's trying to get the attention from the new visitor. I think it's the first though. I hope this helps.butterfly

blueskye0707

Answer by blueskye0707 at 11:33 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• thank u ladies all of u sound encouraging to me. and it really helps. i will take all your ideas..rewards..punishments...trying to include him..company include him..and taken time for him to see the picture..im just at wits end..no one would beleave me if i say hes an angel lol cause they only see the stinker part so to speak. he is so cute and i love him to pieces but i dread company but sometimes i could use some company..adult talk. thank god for cafemom..so thank u ladys..**hugs**
    Anonymous

• It's natural for children to do that. He's either testing you or testing the person who's come to visit. He's trying to see what he can get away with when the guest is over.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:57 PM on Feb. 5, 2010