baby gates..for top of the stairs..

our house is two story and i cannot find a gate for upstairs...we have a 20 mos old and we've finally decided to have another...the problem: the spare bedroom, or baby number2's bedroom, is on the other side of the stair case...we have a gate right now that blocks my dd's room from the stairs, but it's mounted too high bc of the base boards, and she can get under it...so needless to say, i'm still looking..our stairs are not wall on one side and banister on the other,..its simply banister and banister...my dd has already rolled down four of our stairs from throwing a fit at the top of them..i need something that can go infront of the stairs, but that i'm not paying out the wazoo for and something that has a walkthrough...any suggestions???..i don't want to have to block our dd from part of the house, but i dont want to be paranoid about her rolling down the stairs and us not hearing it.

mom_to_kenzie

Asked by mom_to_kenzie at 11:32 PM on Feb. 5, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i have a swing gate that you can buy at lowes in the baby safety aisle and it is awesome! it was about 40.00
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 11:35 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• thanks! i had NO idea lowe's carried baby safety stuff.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 11:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• yeah i even installed it myself! very easy
    MommyBulger

Answer by MommyBulger at 11:37 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• My sister used a swing gate too. It made it much easier than the kind you have to bend over and release..then walk thru then replace them. Gates never worked for me on the stairs. My youngest was Mr. Climber. He was routinely crawling out of his bed at 9 months. He topped gates in a bout 4 seconds. so I( thought..Okay smartee pants..I put one gate on top of the other thinking there was no way he would go that high. WRONG. I walked into the kitchen to set a glass down, walked back around the corner and he was going over the top of the second one. Never used a gate with him again. I figured he was safer falling down a few stairs than falling climbing over stuff.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 11:41 PM on Feb. 5, 2010

• We got ours at Target... I forget the brand... you need one that has the hardware to screw it into the wall; the pressure mount ones aren't considered safe for the tops of stairs.
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We have the swing gate as well, but had the same problem as you with having the banister, which makes it more difficult to install. My husband bought two pieces of wood (you may have to stain them or paint to get them the same color as your banister), and then just nailed them into the banister. Yes, it means down the road we will have to replace that part of the banister, but it is much safer than trying to install the gate onto the banister.

Answer by missanc at 11:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• They also have this http://www.boutkids.com/ at TRU or you can order it online. That is what I was going to get when we move to our 2 story house next month.
    blogginmomma

Answer by blogginmomma at 9:17 PM on Feb. 7, 2010