Anyone listening?

Nobody listens to me, like nobody, really. I mean, my kids do of course but they're 2 and 4..and with me all day and will listen unless they're sleepy or cranky, but that's not what i mean. I mean, my husband and even most of my friends dont listen to me. I dont talk alot, but I do talk..im a female human ;) so i need to say stuff! My husband works 12hr days 5or6 days a week, so I know he's tired but he can listen, at least a little right? And anytime I do get to actually talk to him where I think he's listening one of the kiddos is interrupting or i have to say be quiet or wait your turn a million times. My friends don't really listen either, I mean, they'll change subjects in the middle of my sentence, as if I wasn't saying anything at all. I'm not whispering or talking about nonsense or gossip or anything NOT worth listening to.. I just dont get it. Does this happen to anyone? Like ALL the time?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• ALL the time!! My husband doesn't give a damn what I have to say unless it is about food or sex. My mom will talk my ear off, but if I manage to get a sentence in she interrupts me before I am done and keeps talking. Friends would be a nice thing to have. I haven't had a friend in years. I have mothers of my son's friends, but I am not that close to any of them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Well I will say that, that doesn't happen to me. But If you really want to talk to your husband and actually have him listen try talking to him after you get the kids to bed and you are able to complete your sentences. Also you should try telling your "friends" how they make you feel.
    Kable0120

Answer by Kable0120 at 12:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• What do you do? I mean, its like really upsetting to me. I dont journal or blog or anything, all I can do is post a question about it on here! LOL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• OP here, well Its hard to talk to my husband when the boys go to bed. We usually go to bed at different times lately because he's working so long, and I understand that because i mean, he's tired. I cant go to bed at 9, my clock just doesnt tick like that. So, sometimes we do talk before he goes to bed, like ill lay in bed like im going to sleep but that happens like once a week. I want to just be able to talk, when I have something to say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My DH nods off during conversations...which makes me mental. He only works 9 hours a day. I work 12. He pretends he's listening when I talk but never actually does anything I ask so I know he's either not really listening or doesn't care. It drives me insane so I walk around talking to myself instead. My kids are only 18 months so they don't really count for listening yet but my DD already listens better than my DH and is WAY more helpful.

I hate men....lol
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:24 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Seriously, I feel like this all the time. Exactly what you've said, minus having to tell the kids to wait their turn. My son is only a year, he doesn't really interrupt. When we're with a group of people I am the one who is ignored usually. I will say something and either nobody will acknowldge it and just go on talking, or they'll all sit there in silence and I feel like complete ass. I understand that a lot of people don't know when I'm joking. I have a very dry and sarcastic sense of humor that is often missed, but I seriously don't think that everyone who knows me hasn't caught on by now.

I've grown up feeling like I was the ghost in the room. My husband will cut me off, talk over me, talk for me (if I'm talking to someone else), or change the subject in the middle of the sentence. Sometimes he's the worst of everyone. It's frustrating, gets lonely, and makes me feel like I'm nothing to everyone.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 12:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Maybe you need to talk louder...or wait to make sure whoever you are talking to is actually focused on you before you talk or continue. I do that at work with people I deal with...."I'll wait until you can give me your full attention because I am only going to say this once..." lol...of course those people HAVE to listen!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 12:25 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yep happens to me everyday. That is why I love Cafemom. Atleast here some there is always someone willing to read my questions and respond. Even if it is negative it is still nice to get a conversation in with an adult every now and then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Maybe you need to be a bit more assertive OP
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• OMG that is sooo true...i mean one thing i do have to say about my husband is that he actually does listen to me.. he has his moments where he zones out watching tv but for the most part he's the one that i run to when i need to talk someone's ear off..lol..but other than that i understand exactly what you mean...i try very hard not to do that because when i was younger my family used to do it to me all the time and it really does start to hurt your feelings after a while like whoa doesn't anyone think that i have something interesting to say?!?...but i find that other ppl just interupt all the time and i find it to be one of the rudest behaviours because i think by interupting you are telling the person that their opinions and thoughts are less important than yours...a good way to get around this is to just talk to him anyway...make him listen and if that doesn't work then find another outlet: ie: new friends, blogging, twit-
    diablaherida666

Answer by diablaherida666 at 3:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2010