Homogenized milk

Why does homogenized milk go bad faster than regular 2% or 1%? My doctor told me to give my little ones homo milk now that they are off formula and I can't believe how fast it goes bad! Is there a reason for this or am I just crazy....?

Allergic2Stupid

Asked by Allergic2Stupid at 2:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would guess that it is because homo milk has a higher milk fat content. 2% and skim have more water so I would assume that the water acts as a sort of natural preservative....I'm just guessing though.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 3:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Hm perhaps. Thanks Mrs.Mack!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Homogenized just means that they have treated the milk to prevent the cream from separating and rising to the surface. It doesn't have anything to do with fat content. Most milk is homogenized (including 2%, 1%, & skim) How long does it take for it to go bad for you? I've never noticed whether whole milk goes bad any faster than one with less fat but milk gets consumed pretty quickly around here. They should all be good at least until the date on the carton. (=
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 12:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Krysden - you're thinking PASTEURIZED.

Homogenized is the Canadian version of Whole Milk.

I never had milk last long enough to go bad, I think its the higher fat content that makes it seem 'off' before the lower fat.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Hypermamaz: Pasteurized is when they raise it to a certain temperature for a period of time to kill off bacteria. Homogenization is a process that breaks down and blends fat globules so that the milk doesn't separate. Here in the U.S. pretty much ALL milk is BOTH pasteurized and homogenized. Whole milk here Just says Vitamin D Milk.
    Krysden

Answer by Krysden at 3:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ahh.... see our whole milk is called homogenized or 3%
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Sorry I'm Canadian lol...I had no idea it was called something else in other countries! Thanks ladies!
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Stop wasting your money. Cow milk is for baby cows, and humans don't need it. Like many other nutrients, and despite the claims of the dairy industry, plant based calcium is superior to animal based. While cow mild is rich in protein, the kind of protein that is contains is casein, while human milk protein is lactalbumin, with is easily digestible; more the 50% of casein isn’t digested and can cause health problems later in life, like food allergies. Here is some of what the doctors at the Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine say: http://www.pcrm.org/health/prevmed/building_bones.html

Answer by rkoloms at 8:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ya thanks for the info but my doctor gave it to her kids, my mom gave it with me, and I'll give it to my children. I stopped breastfeeding a long time ago so there's no more "human milk" around here anymore.

Thanks for the input all :)
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 8:41 PM on Feb. 9, 2010