Potty training ideas

So my daughter is 18 months old and she's been acting interested in going potty the big girl way. She'll go to our toilet and open it and say "go? go?" so today we got her a potty training toilet we made the chart and got her candy for when she goes. But I am just looking for good ideas to help make this go as smoothly as possible. Thanks ladies!

Heidikans

Asked by Heidikans at 2:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• That's great she's showing interest. My major recommendation only works if you have several days to dedicate exclusively to potty training... so if you want to do a more gradual approach, you'll probably be with the majority... We followed a so-called "3-day method" -- sounds gimicky but it's actually a new description of an old method. Essentially, you ditch the diapers (you can keep diapers or pull-ups for nights and possibly naps if you don't wish to tackle that right away) and put your child in underwear and a shirt. Stay home for 3 days and let your child play like normal, keeping the potty chair in the same room with you. You don't put your child on the potty unless she asks to go or unless she starts to pee/poop in her underwear. Then, since you're watching her closely, you grab her and rush her to the potty, hoping that she will finish there. If any lands in the pot, the small reward and praise; always reminding...
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ... her that pee/poop goes in the toilet. You don't freak about an accident, but you don't say, "It's okay" either... you gently keep moving her to the potty and keep reminding her to let you know when she needs to. My daughter was 19 months when we did this. We were out of the house without diapers (for short periods of time) after just 3 days. It took about 10 days before she was telling us every time she needed to go... I actually started putting her on the pot now and then on about day 4 because she wasn't telling us yet, but we still got there pretty quickly all-told. She's been trained ever since (for daytime -- we waited for nights). I found it very effective but it definitely won't work if you're not consistent or if you throw her in a diaper to leave the house or something. Good luck whatever you choose to do..
    EmilySusan

Answer by EmilySusan at 7:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'm currently doing the 3-day method. its our 4th day and she has it down! she tells me when she needs to go and then she'll go. the only thing i did differently with the method was i had her sit on the potty every 30 min instead of waiting fo her to just start going. i did it the first day and just about went crazy!! the 30 min thing has really helped in my opinion.
    Reannen8607

Answer by Reannen8607 at 7:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• thanks ladies! I'll talk to my hubby! it sounds like a very good method!
    Heidikans

Answer by Heidikans at 12:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010