Do you talk religion at work?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Noooooo.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• No and I work with a handful of people that all belong to and work at the same church in my area. (This church is "new age" and kind of odd in the way they operate...) They are constantly discussing their church with eachother and their other "church friends" when they come into our place of work. I cannot seem to find a way to put it politely that I wish they could save it for when they clock out. I dont want to sound rude, and certainly dont want to be persecuting their religion, but they are consistently crossing the line.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i dont work outside the home but when I did if the subject came up I sure did. Or if i had a question i would ask another coworker their opinion. I had people approach me several times with questions at work or just to talk about it. One lady I worked with will always stand out me to. She came up to me and was almost crying and said "does God love me becasue I am gay?" I said "YES! He does!!" She was very happy and said "really? He does?" I felt so bad for her, whatever she had been told or somehow thought.
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 2:53 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'm also not working now, although when I did the topic never came up. If it ever had, I would not have talked about my beliefs mostly because it wasn't really anyone's business at work what I thought.
    daisy521

Answer by daisy521 at 6:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• No. There was a discussion amongst some back in December that turned ugly... I wasn't there that day but apparently a woman who is a friend of mine was getting called vile names by another lady because my friend is Muslim. A few days later our Operations Manager came in to remind everyone that while we all have freedom of speech and the right to our opinion, discussions about religion in the workplace are frowned upon and not really a great idea.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• only if someone asks me a question. but normally i dont.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Nope.  It has never come up.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• No. I found out the hard way it is never wise to talk religion in the work place.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 8:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• No way! People are way too intolerant of religions other than christianity!
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 9:34 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• yes, if any subject comes up. of course, we're only a group of 5, with no department head or HR manager to tangle things. sometimes a religious/spiritual subject will come up with a client..when they ask me something, whether they're looking for an answer or opinion, i will freely give it to the best of my knowledge. the thing is, in hairdressing, its an intimate situation, and client feel open to talk about everything to you (if they trust you), from religion to the weird growth on their butt, their relationship's ups/downs, economy/politics. ironicly, politics is the more touchy subject, not religion.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2010