QUESTION ABOUT PUMPING?

I have a hand pump and I pump like 10mins on each side and dont get that much at all... It dont even cover the bottem of the bottle.. I breast feed also but she dont nurse long so I pump. I dont know why im not getting that much out... I dont understand i had my baby 1 month ago.. Can u help?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started off on 5 mins each side....after a few days I increased my time by five minutes. After about a month I was up to 20 mins each side and stayed that way. You may need longer or not as long to empty each breast thoroughly. The key is to increase pumping time GRADUALLY. Don't try to start off at 20 mins...that just leads to sore nipples, lack of let-down and a whole lot of frustration.

START GRADUALLY AND BE PATIENT! It takes time for your breasts to become accustomed to a pump.

Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 3:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I was the same way. Try getting an electric pump, or trying other pumps in general. They are all different, just like all our boobs are different. Some people just don't take to pumps very well. If you LO is seemingly full after feeding, they may be taking all you have at the moment (you develope milk on demand...so you're making enough for your baby & not for the pump too). Be patient with it, & talk to a lactation specialist to ease your mind & find tricks that work for you. I eventually gave up, & I am so mad at myself for doing that now...you don't want to regret anything when it comes to your baby, so keep up the good work mama!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 3:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Do you feel al le tdown when you pump? Take a warm wash cloth and put it on your breat to get a let down or pump right after you get out of the shower, also massage them when you are pumping!
    stickyfingers

Answer by stickyfingers at 4:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Not a week into pumping I would pump 30-45 minutes on each side, and still sometimes have to go longer. I had LOADS of milk producing.

You have to be relaxed. I wasnt getting anything out when I was in the hospital. Then at home... if I wasnt chilled out same thing.
    Itsonono

Answer by Itsonono at 4:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• keep baby in room with you- it somehow encourrages your senses to produce the milk... and if you can get her to breast feed at anytime that will help...keep at it don't not do it... i substitutted formula and it messed me up right away at the hospital
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 8:55 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Not sure if this was already said (didnt read all the replies) But if you going to pump, invest in a double electric pump. They just work better. I have used one like you described and a double pump. Go for a Ameda Purely Yours or a Medela. Make sure you keep pumping for about 5 minutes after you stop getting milk. That will tell your body you need more milk.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 11:56 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Invest in a single electric pump.  It wll be easier.  Mine cost sixty dollars.

What helps me pump is to take advantage of the let down initiated by the baby.  So I pump and nurse in the AM between four and eight am when production is at its peak.   Massaging the breast while pumping doubles output.  Adding hand expression to the end of the pumping session gets you even more.   Here is a video that might help:   http://newborns.stanford.edu/Breastfeeding/MaxProduction.html     If I pump alone I only get 2 oz, if I massage and pump I get 4 oz  if I hand express after I get an additional ounce.      I also take advantage of my "turbo boob"  the one that pumps really well.  The other breast doesn't pump nearly as well but responds with hand expression.       

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Keep in mind that it takes time for the breast to get used to pumping and for you to learn to pump. If you get an ounce, consider that a victory. You just need more stimulation. Pumps are no where near as efficient as the baby is so you need to pull out all the hat tricks!
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:14 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Some women don't respond well to pumps. Some women respond better to battery or electric pumps. Many babies nurse for short times, and because they are efficient, get what they need in a short time. LLL meetings! Find them locally, and GO! Great support. LLLI.org.

Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2010