breastfeeding and coffee

im entirely breastfeeding my 1 month old.. is ok to have a cup of coffee everyday?

happymum2010

Asked by happymum2010 at 8:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• caffiene crosses in the milk
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It will cross into the milk, but honestly, it's not going to be that horrible. Now, if you were drinking a pot a day, or if your idea of "one coffee" a day is something like a large espresso with an extra shot, then I would advise against it, but just a regular old coffee, like you make a cup in the morning and have it with breakfast sort of thing, then it's not going to be that big a problem.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 8:22 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• you can have the same amount of coffee while breastfeeding that you can have while pregnant, 1 cup per day.

http://www.kellymom.com/health/lifestyle/caffeine.html

tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 8:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I tried going w/ out my coffee after I gave birth, managed to make it thru the pregnancy w/ out any, although I didn't want any cuz I was puking the whole time, couldn't do it. Now I enjoy my cup every morning & I'm still breastfeeding, dd's 9 mo now & doesn't seem to affect her!
    Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Can you try a 1/2 and 1/2 blend. 1/2 decaf, 1/2 regular. I know Maxwell House makes a lite blend. If you don't like that, as long as you only have a cup a day it shouldn't hurt but watch for signs of it effecting your baby.
    Cafe Jenn

Answer by Cafe Jenn at 10:48 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yes, but if you notice and adverse effects in baby, then stop, and see if the problem stops.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:52 PM on Feb. 6, 2010