Would you do chemo at 25weeks pregnant, or deliver the baby early???

I am 32yr and just found out that I have DCIS Cancer, I have just had my right boob completely removed & expected to start chemo in a couple weeks. We opted to have the baby early at first, then my OB has now spoken with the oncologist about it & he says that he will give me a lower dose of chemo so I can carry to full term, stop a few weeks before my due date & start back up a few weeks after I deliver. I want to trust the dr, however I want to protect this unborn baby more...

twindelight

Asked by twindelight at 8:46 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Health

• you are in one of the worst situations imagineable and my heart goes out to you, I tend to say that delivering the baby at 25 weeks had too many potentially bad outcomes. but I am not your Dr. i have no idea if a lower dose is safe or not
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 8:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• A 25 week-er is very susceptible to health problems and death. Go for the chemo hon. So sorry to hear about your diagnosis. :(
    TMJ121099

Answer by TMJ121099 at 8:52 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I can honestly say that has got to be one of the toughest spots to be put in. I really don't know what I would decide to do if placed in that position. Weigh out the pros and cons of it all...I wish you the best of luck and send prayers to you and your little one. I really hope that no matter what you decide to do it all turns out for the best.
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 9:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i would not want to deliver at 25 wks.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• thanks ladies, I know that an early delivery has it's problems & so I'm not to hot on the idea of her being in the NICU for months, I just am so worried about the affects of the chemo too. I do trust my doctors that I have on board & they say that I am in the safest spot in my pregnantcy poss for all this to occure. I pray that I am making the right choice... thanks for your prayers
    twindelight

Answer by twindelight at 9:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ok i just re read the question... do you mean deliver maybe a couple of wks early before starting chemo...i would do that. I wouldnt feel to safe taking chemo with a baby...but then again i know nothing about it. I would honestly put my childs life in the doctors hands and tell them to make the call because i would be so freaked out i dont think i would be able to make a decision
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:16 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would not deliver that early. BUT no one can make this decision for you. Maybe wait til 30 weeks, deliver then, and start chemo after? Is that an option?
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 9:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i almost cant believe an OB would suggest delivering that early..there is almost a zero chance of survival. Have you looked at the developing chart of a fetus? Unless your OB id just looking out for your health??? idk.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Look into alternative methods. Ever heard of the Gerson Therapy?

http://www.gerson.org/

banana-bear

Answer by banana-bear at 9:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I used to work at a cancer center and there was a women that was a pt and she was like 22 and had breast cancer and it had completely went away and then she got pregnant and a few months later it had spread and she got chemo, now I dont know how far along she was.... I was also pregnant at the time and I left work before she had her baby. Im so sorry and my heart goes out to you! I would hope that the dr knows what he is talking about but follow your heart! :) I hope whatever your choice everything works out for you and your baby! Good Luck!
    heatherjenea

Answer by heatherjenea at 9:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2010