any home remedies for ear infections

DDTSMommy

Asked by DDTSMommy at 8:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Health

• Really your child needs to see a Dr. because ear infections can cause scarring of the ear drum, which can lead to hearing loss. After that, I always just used warm compresses to the child's ear.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• stange one i have herd is brest milk i have never tried it but im told it works
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 9:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• For a child I would get them in to see a doc, but as an adult I have had a few and not went to the doc. Drinking water out of a straw and lots of it helps, the straw because it moves those areas of the ear and can draw out any fluids, the water because it thins out the fluids. But that is what works for me, but like I said I wouldn't mess around with it like that with my kids.
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 9:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• 50/50 white vinegar & rubbing alcohol.

I use this on myself- am highly prone to swimmers ear and other bacterial ear infections. The vinegar kills the bacteria, and the alcohol helps irrigate the canal and dry up the excess drainage.

I do use this on my children every time I see one of them rubbing or tugging at their ear- works like a charm! the only draw back is that it stings. Otherwise, perfectly safe. use a medicine dropper and apply 3-6X daily. the more you use it, the quicker the recovery. It is also safe to use on pets who are prone to ear infections, or have mites.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• BTW- just a side note because of what the PP said... obviously if the child has a raging fever along with the ear, you should have it checked... but there is NEVER a reason to administered antibiotic for an ear infection if you catch it before the fever arrives, and it will clear in just a few days. My children do not receive antibiotics because of the other complications that arise.
    Antibiotics do no prevent scarring, nor can it be fixed once it occurs, only a sever infection will cause hearing loss- if you treat any symptoms of infection promptly, the use of antibiotics is not necessary.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• We were on vacation last December and my DD started complaining about her ear, I stopped by a local natural food store and picked up ear candles. My DH and I use them at home often just to clean our ears out, and I thought I would give it a try, to draw out the infection. I waited till she was asleep and candled her ear, and the next morning she had no pain at all, and said the "Ear Fairy" had come to fix her ear LOL!!!
    ShotCaller

Answer by ShotCaller at 10:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Thanks everyone. i have the ear infection... went to the ER for 3 hours. was seen by a doc for 5 min, if even that! whatamess....Had to go to walgreens this morning and get my perscriptions... the alcohol/vinegar sounds like itd work but i dont want it to sting. i'm a baby when it comes to my ears because i've had problems my whole 20 years of my life with my ears...
    DDTSMommy

Answer by DDTSMommy at 2:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010