is it normal for children with aspergers to become violent?

I am debating taking a nanny position with a child who has aspergers but my one year old comes with me to work, I am currently leaving my position with a different familyas their nanny because their children are becoming rather aggressive with my son I dont want to walk out of one bad situation right into another especially since if we had to leave the child with aspergers it would make his transition from one caretaker to another even more idfficult

katiekruschke

Asked by katiekruschke at 9:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Every child with an Autism Spectrum Disorder is different. I think you should ask the parents if their child has violent outbursts, and how you should handle them.

Both of my sons have mild autism, and when then were preschool age, had a much harder time expressing themselves, and would have severe temper tantrums where they would hit and kick. Now that they are older (8 and 6) and through TONS of interventions, they are much more calm, and rarely have an outburst because they now know how to express themselves thus lowering their frustration levels.

My boys are VERY gentle, to the point where we trust they can handle the responsibility of caring for two puppies this spring! (We will be teaching them how to properly care for them--as part of one of their therapies--to be able to connect and form relationships/attachments)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:11 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• every child is different, they are not peas in pods. i would suggest you spend some time with him before committing to the job and see if you and he aare good fit
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 9:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• What are your qualifications to nanny a special needs child?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• thanks guys I think Im going to pass the job up. I've done a fair amount of research on aspergers and my nephew has it and can become violent, but i don't feel like i have enough training to work with him and provide him the care he needs and deserves and I know coming in and leaving a couple months later definitely wouldnt help him any
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 9:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I think you made the right decision . you honestly just were not qualified for the job
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 10:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• she already said that you don't need to point it out for everyone again
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

Yeah really!! Get off your high horse!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• AWW poor diddums dont like what i said too bad. she never should have CONSIDERED the job.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i don't know if it's "normal", but from what I've read in the autism/aspbergers/add group it does appear that way. If you don't feel you can handle it, then It's probably better if you don't take it. I'd ask the parents how he typically acts. If he has shown tendancies towards violence turn it down.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 6:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• excuse me SATI769sleigh I am a phenominal caregiver, with outstanding qualifications references and training, were it not for the fact that I have a child of my own I would have gladly taken that job having the time and patience to deal with a child with special needs. I have worked with a LOT of special needs in children as well as adults working as both a nanny and a personal careworker so yes I had every right and inclination to at least CONSIDER the job and the fact that I don't feel I have enough experience with aspergers to handle him, his home schooling, his 4 younger brothers and my own child proves that I am good caregiver by chosing not to bite off more than I can chew.Who are YOU to tell me what jobs I should even consider? You have no idea the schooling I have received the training I have taken and the life experiences I have gained. I come with outstanding references from administrators of childcare programs cont
    katiekruschke

Answer by katiekruschke at 8:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2010