Pet owner killed by dogs after saving them from death

LJUBLJANA (Reuters) – A Slovenian who saved his three dogs from being put down for attacking humans was himself mauled to death by them, police said Wednesday.

"Three dogs bit their 52-year-old owner to death in Ljubljana yesterday," police spokeswoman Maja Adlesic said.

Four years ago, the three bullmastiffs attacked and seriously injured a passer-by outside their owner's house. They spent years in custody pending legal hearings, but when one of them attacked a dog handler, authorities ordered them to be put down. Their owner, a doctor, succeeded last June in his legal appeals to get the dogs back, sparking a national controversy. After his death, an opposition party said the agriculture minister should resign for failing to stop the dogs from being released.

The dogs attacked the man in his garden Tuesday, killing him before the police arrived. All three dogs were put down following the attack.

Darwin Award winner?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Linda- as per your MO the ignorance of your statements makes me want to regurgitate my breakfast.

owning a dog is not about being gentle and sweet- it about understanding how dogs work, and being their Alpha. Which you can do without a single word, or being "sweet", and have the result of a well adjusted, content, and obedient dog... The misconception you function under is that they should be treated like people- they are animals, and should always be shown the same regard we treat humans with, but should be regarded as animals.
    Maybe I should rephrase and say that there are no Dangerous or Bad dogs---- Until they encounter an irresponsible owner, who makes them that way... that suit you better?

Going to go vomit now- I'm allergic to stupidity.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:50 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• no. not necessarily... though that WAS my first thought.

Obviously the owner should never should have been in possessions of any animal- there is no such thing as a bad or dangerous dog, just a bad and dangerous owner. I believe this proves it quite well. so in that sense, yes... by being a douche he removed himself from the gene pool.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:14 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• rolling on floorlaughing ROFLMFAO!!!!!  I love it when karma literally bites the stupid people in the ass!!!! Ahhhhhh that's great!!! Thanks for the laugh, I think I peed myself!!!!! Not a Darwin Award winner though just getting what he deserved!

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• The irony is amusing, the death is tragic.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 10:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Came back for another laugh this is too good. Disagree w/ mancosmomma-the earth can only support so many ppl, the whole reason we have death is so others can live. This is one we can do w/out! Would like to send a thank you to his grave for getting out of the way of those that can actually use the natural resources he was taking up & do something better w/ them. Some ppl are a lot like slinkys, they serve no practical purpose in life but they put a smile on your face when you shove em down the stairs!!!! blowing kisses

Nyx7

Answer by Nyx7 at 10:29 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• There are no bad dogs, only bad owners??????? WHat a load of crap. Get used to it--there ARE bad dogs and you can be sweet and gentle with your dogs every single day and one day have your face torn off. The only good and safe pet is a goldfish.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 10:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• You're right Lindalu, there are bad dogs. They're called rabid dogs.

A pet is what you make it. If you mistreat it, it will be mean. If you train it correctly, it won't be attacking you or passer-bys.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 10:42 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Maybe I should rephrase and say that there are no Dangerous or Bad dogs---- Until they encounter an irresponsible owner, who makes them that way... that suit you better?

Going to go vomit now- I'm allergic to stupidity
    **********
    Okay, you are calling me stupid. Now lets see if any of the Cafe Mom monitors will delete your post. It is not appropriate to say someone is stupid. Here, or in your real life.LOL. It sure makes you look bad.
    ANd I stand by my statement that dogs are always unpredictable and that"Alpha" stuff is silly. Do you always think you are right? Must be hard to live with you.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 11:05 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• well linda- if I had called you stupid by name, then I would see where you have a reason to be upset. HOWEVER, I clearly made a blanket statement that I am in general, allergic to stupidity, and I made that statement TO YOU. yes, I stated that it makes me sick. What I called you was IGNORANT- which is meaning that you simply lack the appropriate knowledge to make an informed statement. Al lot of people are ignorant about a lot of things... myself included :)

so, go cry. have fun with that! if the moderators see fit to answer your own "silly stuff", like they would pick a crying baby up in the middle of the nigh to shut it up- so be it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ANd I stand by my statement that dogs are always unpredictable and that"Alpha" stuff is silly

Tell that to the Dog Whisperer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2010