How do I get my son out of the bath?

He is 6 years old and old enough to wash himself... I will not help him because I don't want to take advantage of it and not do it by himself anymore. He takes forever in the bathtub and I can never get him out until way later. I have tried being nice but then I usually get upset, mad and I even yell or cry cause he won't listen. He ignores me and continues to play with him toys and doesn't wash up until right before he gets out. I hope this makes sense. I just need some advice. Thanks in advance.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Put a timer in the bathroom. Let him know he has X about of time to take a bath. Once that time goes by tell him he looses one toy for every minute he spends extra.
    Minnie.Belle

Answer by Minnie.Belle at 10:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Do not allow toys until he has cleaned up, then when he starts to look like a raisin pull the plug.
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 10:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• no toys until he washes. make him wash BEFORE he is allowed to have his toys... When he is done washing is play time, and then when bath is over you simply drain the water. bath is over. period.

that is how my house works, and the kids have no complaints because they know that if they do what they are told they will get to play. if not. I tell them "I'm going to wash you like a baby, since you won't do it yourself. And then you are getting out." no arguments, no giving in when they say they will do it- I do exactly what I am going to say, though I can not remember the last time I had to do that...
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Set a timer for his play time. Wash first, toys after. When timer goes off, pull the plug.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My 6 year old takes showers.. they are faster, and usually I get her to get in maybe 10 minutes before her favorite show..so she wont use up all the hot water. :)
    peachwine

Answer by peachwine at 11:26 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Try having him do the washing up first. No toys in the tub until he's done.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 11:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Great ideas! Thanks ladies. Sometimes my son will take a shower but he likes to take baths more. I will try with the washing up first then toys and just try to make a fun game out of it or something. It just gets frustrating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would hav ehim wash befor he gets any toys and set a timer if he is not done befor the timer goes off you wash him and he gets out right then......do this once and he will be washing the right way!
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:58 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Empty out the water. And a 6yr old should still need help washing himself to make sure he actually gets clean.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010