Breastmilk up the nose to help congestion?

My 6 month old son has his first cold and I read somewhere that putting breastmilk up their nose can help? Has anyone tried this and does it work? Also, how do you get it in there? I would think squirting it up there would make him choke?

Ash9724

Asked by Ash9724 at 10:28 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i don't BF but i hav never heard of this...i can see how it works though, i would try it, it make work wonders...thats awesome....i think the antibodies in the breast milk is what helps...very cool idea...try it and make your baby feel better...it sucks when they are so young and get sick...both my girls are fighting ear infections now :( i think it may be genetic thought cuz both me and my mother had ear infections..ugh my poor babies...sorry for rambling....hope your baby feels better :)
    mom_on_strike

Answer by mom_on_strike at 11:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I did this and everyone laughed at me and thought I was crazy, but it worked. My DD hated when I did it, but it worked. Just pump a tiny bit and then use a medicine dropper to squirt it up there with.
    ABPeterson

Answer by ABPeterson at 10:30 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yep. It worked. I just squeezed a few drops out in each nostril. She didn't choke, and it worked wonderfully.
    christaberk

Answer by christaberk at 10:35 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I have never heard of this. It sounds absolutely horrible.
    Just put Vicks Vapor Rub on their feet, put socks on and there you go.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:44 AM on Feb. 6, 2010