How can I get Abi to sleep on her own?

She has been sleeping on my chest for 8 mths. Its hard on me to.

Abiesmom

Asked by Abiesmom at 11:00 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Put her in her own bed every night. Put a shirt that you've worn that day underneath her, so your smell is close to her. That will help comfort her. Put her to bed mostly asleep, but not completely asleep. Kiss her goodnight and walk out of the room. If she cries and fusses let her do so for 5-10 minutes then go in and comfort her. Talk to her and let her know you're close by, but she needs to sleep on her own. (Yes she can understand) then walk out of the room again. It may take an hour to five hours for her to finally go to sleep on her own. Or it may take a few minutes. Hopefully a few minutes. All the best!
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When she is in deep sleep, by the way, you can put her down. Look for limp limbs, unclenched hands, relaxed face, and steady even breathing. You can still cosleep just she can sleep next to you without being on top of you. You can also snuggle next to her while she goes to sleep. All she might need is your proximity.  I also help her to take naps in our bed, but I slip away when she's in deep sleep and return immediately if she wakes so she's learning that its always safe.     I'm an advocate fo cosleeping obviously. I sidecarred our crib for when the baby gets older and doesn't need to be so close to me to night nurse.   See here:  http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010