How do you feel about starting an 8 month old on whole milk?

I have been breast feeding my baby, but recently I havent been producing enough milk. I dont really want to put her on formula so I thought I might as well just start her on cows milk. I have given her a couple of bottles in between breast milk and she seems to be doing fine.

brooklyn10

Asked by brooklyn10 at 11:06 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Research it. NOT a good idea. Formula is better.
    Allergic2Stupid

Answer by Allergic2Stupid at 11:08 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ask her doctor. From what I hear, formula would be better until she is 1 year.

Answer by Bmat at 11:09 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Have you talked with your ped about it? My mom had us all on whole milk by 6 months, but I know some doctors frown upon it and I am not sure why. My kids did not start milk until a year, but that is just me. I would ask your ped for advice and go from there.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:10 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would recommend asking her doctor. You will get so many mixed feelings about it on here.
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 11:13 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Talk to her doctor and/or do some research. A baby is not ready to digest cow's milk at that age.
    lovinmystar

Answer by lovinmystar at 11:17 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• One problem is there is not enough iron in it, and it can lead to anemia. You can "tell" your body to make more milk by breastfeeding more.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:18 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It is not a good idea. Even though she seems fine now, her body cannot digest cows milk very well this young. It can lead to allergies to dairy, and some other more severe complications. Talk with her pediatrician before making this choice again.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 11:21 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Lots of great info here (very balanced, pros and cons) Is it safe to use cow's milk or other milks as a supplement to breastfeeding?

Kellymom.com comes through again!

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 11:23 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• definately talk to her Dr. formula has the nutrients, etc. that she needs until 1+yr that whole milk doesn't offer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:31 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Wow. You would rather give your child something that lacks all the nutrients she needs instead of giving her formula that does?! WTH are you thinking? Do you not understand what "no milk under 1 year of age" means? You're probably not "making enough" milk because you're supplementing. STOP doing that and you wouldn't have that problem. I can't believe you're even asking this question.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:32 AM on Feb. 6, 2010