Push to repeal religious dress ban in schools

This is both political AND religious in nature, so I don't know where to put it.

Democrats push to repeal religious dress ban in schools

SALEM, Ore. - A decades-old law banning teachers from wearing religious clothing in public classrooms received vigorous debate Friday during a public hearing on the 1923 law.

I am usually pretty liberal. With that said, I am VERY upset about the Dems pushing for this. I have nothing against the wearing of religious clothing, but it does not belong in a public school. Nothing religious belongs in a public school. I agree that if children are forced to look at what someone is wearing everyday, they get curious and eventually ask about it, which leads to the teaching of religious subjects, and that should only be taught by parents/guardians, in my opinion. If you can't teach in public school without your religious clothing, then don't teach.

Link to full story below, in reply.

NightPhoenix

Asked by NightPhoenix at 11:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 11:27 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Here is my answer from the POV as an educator: we do what is best for children PERIOD! Anything of a religious nature is disruptive to our mission of educating. Parents get upset, meetings are held, the community becomes divided-it spills over in to my time to prepare and the atmosphere in my classroom. No one has the RIGHT to teach in a public school- there are plenty of private schools that need teachers, If your desire to wear religious clothing trumps your desire to do what is best for children in a public school- you need to find some place else to teach. I have nothing against anyones religion or views and I honor all but your mission in the school is to deliver the best instruction possible in the best atmosphere possible. Over turning the ban would get in the way of that mission. We are not there to make a stand- we are there for the kids!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:37 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My issue with banning religious garb is if it also includes necklaces or other types of jewelry. Personally I always wore my pentacle in school. It wasn't disruptive and usually didn't prompt questions. Is this law going to stop people from wearing their personal religious pendants? If so, then I'd be against it. I don't see where wearing religious garb is disruptive. If a question is asked the teacher should have the knowledge and fortitude to say "as you parents" and leave it at that.

SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:40 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Separation of church and state is freedom OF religion, not freedom FROM religion. As long as it is completely across the board, meaning teachers can wear clothing of Christian, Jewish, Muslim, etc., I have no problem with it. It's only as disruptive as the teachers allow it to be.

AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:41 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Salem- the story does not appear to ban necklaces and the like. In my mind those can be slipped under your shirt if need be. The origin came in response to the KKK. Although I put NO ONE in the same category as the KKK, I can see where allowing religious garb could be taken to an extreme by someone. It is the sad truth that not all adults act like adults and this is a preventative measure that should probably stay in place. Again, I am speaking from the POV of an educator. I would hate to work in a school where this becomes and issue because it detracts from the kids. I do not take a stand on any political/religious issue at school because that is not what I am there for, I can do that after hours. I feel very strongly about what my role and responsibilities are and I work hard to maintain that.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It's only as disruptive as the teachers allow it to be.

Oh how I wish that were true! Parents and the community spill over into my classroom as you would never imagine! During the onset of a peanut ban, I had parents not bring their kids to school, I had parents openly defy the ban, I had parents that waited for other parents in line to sign a petition, I had kids that could not play together, I spent many planning times meeting with parents rather than preparing lessons, the list goes on and on.... in a perfect world- I would get my students- come in the school and nothing the adults did would disrupt us but that is not how it is. ;(
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:51 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I can see banning KKK garb. They are not a religion. They are a political hate group.
    AngelDawn7

Answer by AngelDawn7 at 11:57 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I agree they are a hate group- but they consider themselves a church they are:
    The Church of United Realms of America Knights of the Ku Klux Klan

Sick isn't it?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I am going to stop hijacking this post and say, I know my views are tainted by the fact I am in education and I appreciate hearing all other POV since they make me a better person. I will check back later and see what else I can learn from all of you. Thanks for posting this NightPhoenix- I love these types of questions where people with something interesting to say come on here and enlighten me with other ways of looking at issues that I feel strongly about!
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 12:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I like the idea of banning any religious symbols from schools. I find crosses that teachers wear, even as a professional working along side of them, distracting and quite annoying. It was a clear message to me. I even got asked many times where my cross was. Overwhelmingly the message sent was this was the one true path and there is something wrong with you if you don't buy ilnto it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 2:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010