Have you ever used Babies only organic formula? Or any suggestions on a supplement to breast milk?

I have been breast feeding but im not producing enough milk and I need a supplement. Any suggestions?

brooklyn10

Asked by brooklyn10 at 11:36 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I use the Similac Advance. My doctor recommended to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:45 AM on Feb. 6, 2010

• What makes you think you aren't making enough? The only indication if low milk supply is low diaper count. If you really feel you aren't making enough, have a nursing holiday. Stay in bed all day, topless (or in just a bra) and do nothing but nurse, drink water and snuggle with your baby. You'll be amazed how that can increase milk production! Good luck, momma :)
    vances_mom

Answer by vances_mom at 1:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• How do you know you aren't producing enough? Has your baby not had a wet diaper all day? IF you supplement when you don't need to, you will create the problem that you never had in the first place. As the previous poster said, nurse nurse nurse nurse. Breastfeeding is a biofeedback loop...the more you nurse the more you make. Each time you replace nursing with supplementing you interrupt that production cycle.

Can you tell us what indicators you think mean that you aren't producing?

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When you supplement, your milk production will decrease. This is what worked for me when I was having supply problems:

Nurse frequently
    Drink lots of water, at least 6 oz every time you nurse and every time you pump
    Have lots of skin-to-skin contact with your baby
    Take brewers yeast tabs
    Look at pictures of your baby while you pump
    Wait at least an hour after nursing to pump.

Answer by rkoloms at 8:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I agree that the last thing you want to do if you think you don't have enough milk is to give bottles of formula. That may be the beginning of the end of breastfeeding.

It's a supply and demand system that works wonderfully. When baby needs more baby nurses more and a few days later the body is making more. If the baby needs more and the baby doesn't nurse more because the baby is given bottles then the body doesn't make more. That's when the nursing relationship is in trouble.

The absolute best way to tell if your baby is getting enough is weight gain. A baby should gain 4 ounces a week or a pound a month. Weights should not be taken right after a big poop or pee (not fair). If you are concerned about your supply enough to start formula it would be wiser to buy good baby scales. Don't worry day to day. Look at weekly gain or monthly gain.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:16 PM on Feb. 7, 2010