How to I get my DD to sleep in her crib?

My DD falls asleep with either me giving her a bottle or rocking her to bed. After she falls asleep, we put her in her crib where she sleeps for a couple of hours but gets up and we have to put her in our bed for her to fall back asleep. She then sleeps in our bed for the rest of the night and I dont get sleep..What do we do? I tell my SO that we need to put her back when she falls back asleep but he doesn't listen. I'm afraid she's becomign dependent of sleeping in our bed!!! HELP!!

WANDY218

Asked by WANDY218 at 11:47 AM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's all about consistency. Whatever you baby gets used to is what she will expect. Try one method and stick to it consistently for a week or more, however long it takes. You didn't mention how old your DD is, but I could never sleep when my kids were in bed with me either - they slept in their own crib from the first night home. As a mom, you need a full night's sleep and the quicker you can start getting one, the better off you and your baby will be.

Answer by missanc at 2:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• why so against cosleeping? cribs are unnatural. would you feel upset if your SO suddenly decided that he did not want you in bed and forced you to sleep alone? sleeping alone goes against survival instinct.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 12:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• If you want your LO to learn to sleep alone then you have to put her to bed while still awake slightly. This is only if you believing in letting her cry a little. They will whine and cry themselves back to sleep. My LO started going to bed like this when she was 5 mos old. She hasn't slept with us since she was 2 weeks old. You put them down and check on her every few minutes until she is out. It takes time. They really should be older than 4 months when you attempt this. I would break the rocking to sleep habit as fast as you can otherwise you will find yourself rocking a 3 year old to sleep. I wish you luck.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• honey you are the adult. if you dont want her sleeping in your bed, dont put her there.
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 12:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I am advocate of cosleeping. It doesn't take long to learn to sleep with the baby with you. I recommend sidecarring the crib so that you feel more comfortable and you will have more room: http://www.freewebs.com/sidecarcrib/index.htm

But if you are going to put her in her crib, swaddle her so that she doesn't feels so alone in a vast sized area, or invest in a bassinet, or put the crib in the same room where you sleep.   Put the baby down in deep sleep (limp limbs, relaxed face, steady breathing) in the same orientation as they were being carried.  Babies are meant to sleep close to others so they expect to feel snuggled and secure.  The convention of putting babies alone in a room in a crib away from parents is a modern western invention.       

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i had problem to! the way i worked it out was with the poppy billow oddly, she loves it and id put it in the crib and she wouldnt notice the difference between the bassinett and crib
    Anonymous