Is it ok to color your hair while your pregnant?

Im 5 weeks pregnant and i was wondering weather or not i should continue coloring my hair while i am pregnant. I have heard some opposing views as to weather or not its ok and im still not sure. If its not a big deal then i can continue doing so but i dont want to hurt the baby. Has anyone else experienced this or thought about this?

tanyaanthony

Asked by tanyaanthony at 12:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I'm a liscenced cosmetologist, There is nothing wrong with coloring your hair while pregnant. The only danger would be, if you're using box color from the store, and it has ammonia in it. Other than that, the chemicals used can't penetrate through the skin and into the bloodstream. One problem you may face, though, is the color not coming out how it normally does because of the hormones your body is producing. The color could come out blotchy, too dark, too light, or fade really fast.
    alinker

Answer by alinker at 1:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I did both times I was pregnant, just be careful. My color didnt turn out like it was supposed to...don't know if it was the hormones or what!
    AshleyLynnW

Answer by AshleyLynnW at 12:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Some doctors say okay and some say no. It just depends on how conservative your doctor is.
    coala

Answer by coala at 12:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ok so i was told by my dr, my midwife, and my beautician all told me it was ok to dye my hair as long as the room was well venthilated. But I have also heard it was bad. I dyed my hair while I was pregnant, and so far my three year old is normal.
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 12:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2010