leaking breasts

if my breasts leak/spray from time to time (there is some engorgement but not unbearable where i need to pump it out) does it mean i might have a fast letdown ?

could this be leading to gas. today my 4 week old has been able to nurse for only 5-6 min and then cries and rejects the breast. yest she was fine nursing 25-30 min

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 1:20 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• If there is gas it is more likely from something you ate.
    Anonymous

• Try hand-expressing some before nursing, or pumping.
    Anonymous

• Check out the kellymom link, you can also position her so that she is actually more on top of the breast instead of next to it so that the milk (if it is oal) doesn't spray right into the back of her throat; it was something that helped me. Overactive letdown can cause gas because often a baby will gulp as they nurse to keep up with the milk that is coming out, and they will swallow air with the milk, which makes for gassy babies. Re-positioning and frequent burping can reduce that. As for the rejection, does she seem full when she unlatches? Babies become more efficient over time at nursing, and they can get more in less time. If she is having a minimum of 6-8 wet/dirty diapers in 24 hours, that could be the case, or she could be clustering her feedings, so she nurses for shorter periods more frequently. Both are fine, so long as she meets the diaper count and is hitting milestones, not losing lots of weight, etc.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 1:42 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Actually, gas is much more likely to be caused by an oversupply of milk than something mom ate. Oversupply symptoms include fussy gassy baby, fussing at and sometimes rejecting the breast, engorgement, spraying and leaking. Avoid pumping and nurse on one breast only per feeding. Tons of great info at Oversupply

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• if your son is excepting the bottle more, you can see how much they are drinking easyly
    bobowazhere

Answer by bobowazhere at 3:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Any way you can find your local La Leche League and meet with them? I say this because it's so much easier to fix this stuff face to face. LLLI.org.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 4:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It's normal for some women to have breasts that spray or leak the whole time they are breastfeeding. My kids used to think it was funny when I could squirt milk across the bedroom. Easy to entertain.

I suggest doing what's called finish the first breast first. Nurse from only one breast a feeding. That should decrease your supply a little. The baby should be able to get to the hindmilk that is high in fat and that will make him feel full. Your baby may be getting too much foremilk.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 9:05 PM on Feb. 6, 2010