What is your honest to goodness opinion of Extended Rear Facing? Do you practice it? Why or why not??

If you don't know, ERF is when you keep a child rear facing in their carseat until they're at least 2 yrs old, some do it till much later.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• i think it is crap, and uncomfortable for the kid, and I don't bellieve it is safer, ifact I can imagine them being smooshed up against the seat, plus you cant really see your kid.......
    But I am sure my answer will be bashed
    Anonymous

• I don't think its safer than forward - no matter what would happen in a car accident - you'll get hurt.

they do the testing for only one direction of impact - how about the other directions? I've been in a car accident - no matter where or how you are you get hurt.

my kids got motion sick while rear facing. as soon as I turned them around they were fine.

its just another fear tactic for the nazimommies out there - preying on the paranoia and fears of other moms.

Anonymous

• I didn't keep my son rear facing for that long. His legs were extremely long by the time he was 1 1/2 yrs. His legs almost touched the ground while in a carseat by the age of 2. It would have been more dangerous for him to have his legs up on the back of the seat in my opinion. If we were to get in a crash I think his legs would have been damaged pretty badly. Just my opinion though.
    momof2il

Answer by momof2il at 2:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I never heard of it until CafeMom. I turned my DD at 1 and 20 pounds. I honestly don't know anyone personally who does ERF.
    Anonymous

• never heard of it until Cafemom either.

as soon as my girls were big enough and old enough they were turned around - it pissed off the youngest, she was in middle seat sisters AKA entertainment were in the back seat. but the older two had really bad motionsickness - and were always throwingup. blech...that and the LONG gangly legs wouldn't have fit

no matter what you do driving isn't 100% safe.
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 2:51 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My daughter is 19 months, 28lbs and still rear facing. We will probably turn her after she turns 2, but we may just wait until she reaches 35lbs which is the maximum weight requirement for rear facing in her seat.. Regardless whether you want to believe it or not. It is safer. People who say it's not are just trying to rationalize, because they turned their kids right away.  Do a little research before you just say 'It's not any safer."  Oh and no, driving isn't 100% safe, which is why it is so important to do whatever we can to keep our children as safe as possible.  Saying that driving isn't 100% safe to me is even MORE of a reason to rear face for as long as possible.

http://www.kyledavidmiller.org/pages/4209/Car_Seat_Safety:_Rear-facing_is_safest.htm

BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 3:06 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Never heard of it til Cafemom. I turned my kids around right at 1/20. My kids were much happier like that. And who would want to be squished in their carseat?
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I honest to goodness think it's unnecessary.

Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 5:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When God wants you or your child, no rear car seating is going to stop him.
    We are all going to die one day. As a parent, it is our responsbility to be keep our children as safe as possible, but many things are totally out of our control. Just look at all the children who died in Haiti.
    Anonymous

• The number one killer of children is Cancer and we have no total of that.
    Anonymous