Are no air bags a deal breaker?

We are looking at a vehicle for my soon to be 16 year old. Its mechanically sound, in good shape, a decent price and its 4 WD. The only thing I do not LOVE is it has no airbags (1994) He will drive around town to school and work in it, he has no reason to be on the highway as we are in a pretty self contained community. Would that be a deal breaker for you?

soyousay

Asked by soyousay at 2:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• No. My sons have older cars, it's what they could afford. They couldn't afford car payments and I don't work to pay the car payments for my childrens vehicles. For Heaven's sake we didn't have a car with air bags until sometime around 2004, that's the first time we got a new enough vehicle that had them. Our children were born in 1986, 1988, 1990 and 1991 so....we drove vehicles without airbags when they were young.
    Anonymous

• Nope. In order to get a new enough vehicle for it to have airbags, you may have to put up more money. I purposely don't get airbags in my vehicles if at all possible because it's more dangerous for me to have them than not (I'm 5'1", so under the recommended height for airbags). As long as he is a safe driver, and uses his seatbelt, he should be fine.

Answer by missanc at 2:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• No. To be honest I've heard some horror stories on airbags and how when they are open the plastic can cause some serious injuries. I had a car without airbags in it when I was a teen(18) and hit by a drunk driver. I was driving an 88 escort at the the time. I wasn't ejected and came away unscathed other than the trauma of the accident. I don't believe an airbag is a NECESSITY...but that's just my own personal opinion.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• not at all
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 2:32 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/105722/are_airbags_safe.html?cat=27
    http://www.motherstuff.com/html/parent-airbag.htm

Here's a few links for you. The motherstuff link has about ten links to different sites with info on pros and cons of airbags. I don't have time to read them all but maybe this will help you decide.

Just so you know too, i also had an accident that totaled my car and the airbag never deployed. I've also heard about airbags deploying late(which can cause further injury). Inform yourself and use your best judgment. Good luck.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 2:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yeah. I've totalled three cars and all before I was 19. My first was when I was 16. It's very likely that your kid is going to have an accident and yeah you might have to pay more for a saftey feature by why risk it when it's your kid.

There are some cases where airbags have done more harm than good, but that can also be said about seat belts.

Would you buy a car that didn't have a seat belt?
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• For me no air bags is a deal breaker..but i have known many that if they wouldve had air bags during their accident they wouldve not made it. I also lost a close friend because his air bags didnt deploy!!! Its a toss up...I passed up a good priced mustang because it didnt have air bags.....just not willing to risk it!
    sweetstkissez22

Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 2:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010