What do you do when your 3 year old has a tantrum?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Depends. If it's over something silly (which it usually is) I ignore it. Mine is very stubborn so any feedback she gets from me during a tantrum is like fuel to the fire to her.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Thanks! On this occasion, he wanted to go in my husbands car and not mine and it was SO SO scary the way he acted. He acted like he wanted to break out of his car seat, He had rage in him. It scared me.
    shesha007

Answer by shesha007 at 3:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ignore him. What you say is law. He doesn't get an opinion. If you give into him now you will have serious issues when he is older.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Mine is like that too! She gets VERY upset when she's mad, I'm talking screaming, yelling, kicking, hitting, red face, gritted teeth, etc. And this coming from a girl who normally is really sweet. I just don't understand sometimes.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 3:57 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• A major tantrum is ignored until she calms down. Sometimes I will carry her to her room and tell her to finish her fit and come downstairs when she is ready.

A small over reaction to something may warrant a time out, depending on her actions.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 4:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• she gets sent to her room until she can apologize, or be happy.

when she's ready to come out she says "i'm sorry' and a hug.

hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Either ignore it, or give her a hug and tell her very softly tell her that I love her very much, and she needs to go to her room until she is feeling better.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Until now my son hasn't had tantrums. He's cried but not anything near a tantrum. Only recently did he do the tantrum thing. I gently place him on his bed and tell him he needs his personal space and when he is ready he can join us. I also taught him deep breathing about a year ago and sometimes we just sit next to each other and I talk him through a breathing exercise. Both work for him. If it is because he is frustrated, as in over a toy/puzzle, then I ask him how he wants to solve it and if he needs help to let me know. That usually clears up his frustration and he will usually try to fix it or ask for help. I remind him it is okay to be upset, frustrated, sad, angry....but it is not okay to yell and scream at someone. I have told him he has a right to his feelings but I have the right to not listen to something that hurts my ears so I'm placing you in your personal space where you can safely yell, kick, scream.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I ignore her until she can calm down and use her words. Or I tell her to go throw a fit in her room with the door closed so I don't have to listen to it. Either way I ignore it. She rarely throws a tantrum because she knows she will NOT get whatever it is she wants. A tantrum is a sure fire way to not get the things you want. It's like automatic. Say she wants a snack early. I say she has to wait. She throws a fit. She is most definitely not getting a snack 1 second before snack time after that.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Ignore it. As long as they are safe, let the child throw the tantrum. Do NOT respond until they are finished. Then talk about what they could have done differently or instead. Why what they did was not acceptable.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 6, 2010