Does anyone else's one year old do this?

My one year old son loves to sit with me and I love it, but what really drives me nuts is that he doesn't seem to know what he wants. Sometimes he will sit with me and then want to get down and when I put him down he gets mad because I put him down, lol.

Cappy1979

Asked by Cappy1979 at 3:36 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• just let him climb down with your help,...it's normal.
    Anonymous

• I call it the "down, up" game....I would like to say that the stage passes....but it doesn't. My two year old STILL does it and it drives me BONKERS!
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 3:48 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• children are just naturally indecisive, i suppose
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 3:49 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• YUP, My 17month old has been doing it for a while.It's one of those things, they just want to be close and then play and then he'll come back for a second ,down & play, again & again.He loves to make LOUD noise even more now!~!  It 'll be something new every day to add to the list., don't forget to put it in his baby book, I try to write it all down.

Stefono

Answer by Stefono at 4:07 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Totally normal. My kids all did that, my youngest is almost 3 and still does it.
    Anonymous

• It's a normal stage that all kids go through. It's part of a secure attachment. So if it makes you feel better, it means that he sees you as his "home base." When it gets too much for him, he wants to be next to you, but still wants to do stuff, try keeping a book or two on the couch. That's what I do with my 14 month old, cause he does the EXACT same thing. Reading a page in a book makes him happy, then he'll get right down.
    Babyness

Answer by Babyness at 11:38 PM on Feb. 7, 2010

• My 12 mo old son does the same thing. Sometimes it can be a little nerve racking...all the up and down. Our couch is too tall for him to get up by himself but he gets down by himself just fine. Just recently he has starting crying a lot when he is in the up and down mood. He will cry and scoot off my lap but when he gets all the way down he will sit on the floor by my feet and start crying harder. Then when I pick him up and put him in my lap he just cries and starts hitting me. It's good to hear your not the only one that is going through it but at the same time it is still really hard to deal with. We'll get through it though! :)
    MilMom04

Answer by MilMom04 at 12:09 PM on Feb. 8, 2010