Am I just a too "hard Catholic Mom"?

I allow my children to go out 1 night a week, sometimes 2 nights a week but that is rare. Curfew is 10pm on weekdays. They go out Friday and Saturday night with a curfew of midnight.

I don't make them give me a schedule but I do ask where they plan to go and who they plan to meet. cellphones must be on at all times. My son or nephew drives but there is no going out in the snow. Sundays are fine as long as they go to Mass but there is a curfew of 10pm. Both of them work.

My son says I am the "only" mom who limits how often their kids can go out . I named off others, he said "That is because you guys are hard Catholic moms; nobody else is like that."

Just wondering (but will not change) if any other moms put limits or am I , a "Hard Catholic Mom" thing. My son is graduating a year early my daughter just scored 95% above the rest of her class. I am not changing, what I am doing obviously works.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 3:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My nephew is Catholic but his family doesn't go to church or anything and they are allowed out when ever they want.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:01 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My parents only let me go out once a week, and my curfew was always 9 on the week days and 10 on the weeknights. I graduated a year early from high school and had a 4.0 my first year of college at the age of 17. My parents were not Catholic at all. And we did go to church on Sunday as a family. Saturdays were spent cleaning the house or doing the chores we didn't get to during the week.

I see nothing wrong with what you are doing because that is how I was raised.
    PhoenixFire

Answer by PhoenixFire at 4:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Uh, I am not Catholic and I have the same rules. Actually it is 9pm on the week days and Friday and Saturday the curfew is 12 midnight. They call and let me know where they are going if they change their plans. I do have all the parents phone numbers and they have mine. I am not sorry to tell you that we have simular rules and we are not Catholic.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:04 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• How old are your kids?

I dont even allow that much freedom (15 yr dd & 13 yr ds).... so you are giving them a GREAT deal of freedom as far as Im concerned.

Anonymous

• the two I am talking about are 16 and 17 and I am about to get sticker.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:11 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• nah ur doing fine, kids wil say anything to get what they want. i think ur doing great. dont give in.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 4:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I am not sorry to tell you that we have simular rules and we are not Catholic.

I never thought of my rules as "Catholic" except fo the Mass part. I know plenty of moms who do not go to church and are keeping their kids inline. In fact, my best friend has harder rules than I do. She is Catholic but they don't go to church.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 4:21 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• "I am not sorry to tell you that we have similar rules and we are not Catholic."

Oh geeze that came out wrong. I was trying to say I am not sorry we are hard on our boys, I hope I didn't come across as anti Catholic. My Mama was Catholic, may she rest in peace.

pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Aside from the part about going to Mass, your rules aren't specific to Catholic moms. They sound pretty good to me, and like you said you are obviously doing something right. But kids will always push the limits and use the "everybody else gets to do ..." line, which is where the line "if all your friends jumped off a bridge would you too?" line came from.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 4:47 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I doubt it has anything to do with your being Catholic. I'm Presbyterian and my three teens have about the same rules. Your son's probably just using that to get under your skin. Sounds like you're doing a good job to me.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 5:09 PM on Feb. 6, 2010