Do your kids act this way?

Hi Ladies I just told the kids I was going to ask you ladies a question on how kids act to begin with I told them if they act good while we are out at the stores we would go to the park they were very happy and were yelling "Yay" Anyway we went to the store I specifically told them NOT to ask me for anything and guess what they did (it was only a dollar) but still they asked and of course being a mommy I gave in...we went to grocerie store and omg they were terrible...why do they do this knowing we just talked about going to the park? Would you still take them? Or would you do something else inside the house..we rarely do anything out side anyway. Do your kids act like this too???
Thanks...they are patiently waiting on an answer from you ladies :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:12 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Sorry but I would not be taking them to them park and say maybe on another day when ya'll can act better. My children have acted that way but they learn they don't get something or don't get to go somewhere if they do.
    Anonymous

• if u take them, they'll act up again next time. when they act up n u dont take them twice, they'll learn to behave the third time. trust me, been THERE!
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 4:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• They way i see it, they did not listen... so they don't get to go to the park period! You should never give in to them, that is the first and worst mistake a parent could ever make.

soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 4:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When I tell my kids, if you act up we will not do this, but if your good we will, then I stick to it. They can whine and cry all they want. They knew what would happen and they chose to act the way they did. I never tell my kids not to ask for anything in the store. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't. Depending on how they've been and how much money I have determines if they get it or not. I will usually offer them an alternative (Like if you don't whine and cry about me saying no, when we get home you can do this or have that ) And if they cry about me saying no, they don't get the offered treat.
    Anonymous

• why do they do it? cause they are KIDS? lol and you give in
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• kids are kids - they live in the moment.

keep reminding them about the 'reward' of the park throughout the trip.

and if they whine.cry or beg then DON'T let them have the reward! and whatever you do DO NOT BUY THEM WHAT THEY BEG FOR!! they'll know that if they beg you'll cave - you'll never get them to behave
    hypermamaz

Answer by hypermamaz at 5:00 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When you gave in, you (A) broke your promise to your children to not give in and (B) set the expectation that you will give in.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:45 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• You gave in and bought them some thing so it is your fault they ask for stuff.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 4:14 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• Children have a hard time controlling their behavior, because they lack impulse control. They just can't help it, when they see that cookie and they really, really, really, want it. They don't have the years of practice controlling themselves, and so it's up to us, as parents, to help them develop that. I tell my kids something like, "I know you really want that cookie (toy, or whatever), but we just don't have the money to buy it right now." They will keep asking, of course, and I just keep telling them no.

As far as taking them to the park, when I plan fun activities that I know are going to be good for my children, I will never use that as a tool to get them to behave. Kids are kids, and like I said they just can't control themselves as well as adults. So I would have never told them, "behave at the store and we'll go to the park", if I knew they hadn't been to the park in a while. Use smaller rewards/punishments instead.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 10:03 AM on Feb. 7, 2010

• You have to be specific about what good behavior looks like. Then, you sent mixed messages by buying them something but telling them they didn't earn the trip to the park. They either earned a treat or they didn't. You can't bribe them on the one hand and then withhold privileges on the other. Sorry, but you kind of screwed up this one. I know because I've done it. Consistency is not my greatest strength either. On the upside, you all learned something.
    tiggermom803

Answer by tiggermom803 at 9:43 PM on Feb. 7, 2010