i have a horrible ear infection n have been taking antibiotics for 4 days now n it isnt helping, anyone have any home remedies that might work

michele101183

Asked by michele101183 at 4:13 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Health

• 50/50 white vinegar & rubbing alcohol every 4 hours.

vinegar kills bacteria, alcohol dries out the fluid. works like a charm- I get swimmers ear in the shower, lol, so I use it a lot.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:17 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My mom always warmed up a towel and made me lay my ear on it when it hurt, that always helped, but if antibiotics aren't working, you may want to call your dr tomorrow and ask about it.
    Anonymous

• Could it be sinus connected and you need a decongestant or allergy supplement, ginger tea, and herbs like echinacea, and ginkokola, sometimes just plain tea with lemon, infections are also aggravated when milk products are eaten, so the poison thrives on dairy, cheeses, and things, ....
    Yogurt is a natural antibiotic, cabbage, and onions are natural antibiotics as is garlic whole, dry and reheated with oil. Or garlic powder added to whatever you like, stay away from allergens.
    Is this toothache related if so you may have problems for a month or more, just keep feeding it the list I made and add drinks like tea, lemonaid, and orange juice. I have also heard of using a hair dryer on the infected ear just not to close.
    Anonymous

• garlic clove warmed up in a cotton ball in ur ear. This can be dangerous if you don't put it in right cuz it can get stuck in ur ear.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• adding to what Vero said- you can also use garlic oil- it works really well, garlic is another antibacterial (can be used in pregnancy to get rid of group B strep without antibiotics)... You'll have luck with that too. Personally, having tried it all. I like the vinegar & rubbing alcohol. It stings, but it will kill it in just a couple of days. Maybe try alternating garlic oil with it (garlic oil is available at the healthfood store- is for medicinal purposes, and is not for cooking).
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• One of my kids had an earache w/o any cold and teeth healthy. For some reason her earache just would not clear and clearly was infected - it took three doctor visits and three different antibiotics.

If you try home remedies and they work, great. If they don't work or you worsen in pain each time like my dd then go back and be re examined maybe even by an ear nose throat specialist.

Hope you feel better!!!!!!
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:59 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Give it more time. I get ear & sinus infections all the time, and when I resort to going to the doc for an antibiotic, I usually don't feel it working til a week after I start taking it - or if it's a high-dose short term one like Zithromax I don't feel anything til after it's gone. I like to put a couple drops of warmed sweet oil in my ear and use a cotton ball to keep it from running out - it soothes the pain. I also rub a bit of Biofreeze on that side of my face, around my jaw & under/behind my ear.
    Anonymous

• Drops of apple cider vinegar and warm olive oil
    hot compresses

Answer by rkoloms at 5:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010