Why would you think that being a teen mom ISN"T a big deal???

Many of us have been there, Many of us feel it IS a big deal. We gave up so much of our youth for our children, we had to grow up beyond what most of us were ready for. We didn't get to be normal teenagers and go out and party, we had to stay home and take care of baby. So why would you think it isn't a big deal to be a teen mom???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:16 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I think because tons of us moms who aren't teen moms and who haven't been teen moms know how hard it is to be a mom, period.

Being responsible for another life or other lives comes with unexpected horrors and joys no matter age no matter married or single.

I've raised my three kids myself, married. But my husband has not shared in childcare duties. At all. Not at all. Never. And I am not and I have not been a teen mom.

And the hospitalizations and school troubles and social hardships all of my kids and me are just as bad as a a teen mom's troubles and as those that a mom with an active partner goes through.

It's called mom also known as life.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• i think it is a big deal. but dont whine about the situation. bc you only put yourself in the situation. just like those girls on the teen mom show. i love that show. and its very amazing how quick those girls grew up and how much they sacrificed. i think its amazing if your 16 and get pregnant and you LEARN to live and lose those teenager habits. and grow up quickly. im 19 and im expecting. does that mean any wrong? but to answer the question . its a big deal at any circumstances. but dont act as if its anyone elses fault.! :) you know. im not meaning any harm what so ever. not trying to bash. just tell you how i feel. the way u were saying it sounds like it wasnt up to you to grow up quickly at it is your responsilibty! but then again teen moms can be wonderful and amazing mothers! so for those who dont support young moms, dont judge too quickly!
    Armywifelovely

Answer by Armywifelovely at 4:28 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• two words- Birth control!!!
    Anonymous

• It truly is a big deal and whoever says it's not has no clue. All the children of teen moms appreciate you and other teen moms for giving up their youth and putting the children first. My dd was a teen mom and she gave up a lot but she took her responsibility seriously. I'm very proud of her. Yes I wish she had waited but she was young and "in love" and he told her if you love me you will...she did and the rest was history. Once she got pregnant so was he (history). She was strong and with love and guidance she overcame a lot. She's never complained that I know of. It would be great if young ladies lived a full life before they settled down and became a mom but sometimes it happens backwards. We just play the cards dealt us in life and go on. It's all good if we make the best of it.

Answer by admckenzie at 4:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I am sorry? were we supposed to pity teen moms? they are mom like any other woman with child, gosh no more saturday night dates and parties
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It is, but not because you didn't get to PARTY.

More because a baby needs alot of things that most teen moms can't provide on their own, It inherently puts the baby at a disadvantage and the teen as well.

The teen CHOSE to get pregnant, CHOSE to have UNPROTECTED SEX (and luckily had a baby and not a death sentance HIV!)...so while I feel for her my heart goes put to the baby

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 4:39 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It's a big deal to be a mom, period. Being a teen mom doesn't make your case special because you had to make sacrifices. Guess what? Every mom makes sacrifices for their children. You chose not to have a "normal" childhood by doing grown-up things. You wanted to grow up fast. There were steps you could have taken to prevent pregnancy, but you didn't, so you got a grown-up consequence. Stop playing your violin and get over it. You're a mom. You did the deed and got pregnant just like every one of us on here. How old you were or how much partying you missed out on is irrelevent. It's not like it was an immaculent conception that you had no control over.
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:40 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I probably don't feel like it's a big deal because I didn't give up any youth lol. I never partied or drank or any of that. I don't see the need for that ridiculousness and kinda think that doing it is pointless and immature. Why not spend your nights with loved ones, and what's wrong with hanging out with friends WITHOUT craziness and booze? I never did it and I don't miss it, and don't understand how anyone could.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 4:41 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• this is your response to the prior question... I think they are misreading the question.... see my answer to previous teen mom Q.

no one is going to answer the question how you worded it.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 4:43 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I don't think it's such a big deal like I stated in the other question. Being a teen mom is hard but being a mom at any age is hard. I didn't go through the "oh, I missed out on partying, and friends and drinking" stage. I never had time to do any of that stuff even before I had a baby. On the other hand, my sil had her first baby last year and she's 33. She has struggled big time with her new responsibilities as a mom. Unlike teen moms, she got to travel all over the world, be an upper class socialite, climb the corporate ladder and do anything she wanted. Shortly after she had her son, she realized that her life as she knew it would never be the same. She still struggles because since becoming a mom she was demoted at a job she's worked her entire life to get. Her son spends more time in daycare than at home and all her "childless friends" have left her behind.

legalmommy101

Answer by legalmommy101 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010