What do you do when your kids get on your nerves?

Today my son was being so annoying (8yr. old) everytime I turned around he was right there in my face being a pain in my butt I asked him to go play or find something to do he would leave but be right back bothering me. I finally gave him a good pinch that way he'll know I meant business I did not mean to but that was my reaction at the time but you know what I don't care right now he is annoying me I give him attention I hug and kiss him and just love on him when I want but oh my god he is like a fly just flying around just to get on my nerves I guess. Not to mention my dd (6 yrs. old) does the same thing sometimes she know when I have had enough. What do you do when they hit the last nerve? Thanks!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• First, quit pinching. That's just mean. They both are reacting to your stressed energy. Either take a break from them or change your attitude so they will change. They are pestering you to make sure you are ok. Kids don't know how to verbalize things so they pester us to just check on us. Let them know you are fine and that you are not angry with them. Once they know you are ok they will leave you alone. Try smiling instead of pinching, too. Not bashing, just saying

Answer by admckenzie at 4:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• ok your child wanted your attention , you got annoyed, and the only thing you could think of doing was PINCHING him?

welll for me BEFORE i get to that point I am very fortunate to have my youngest's dad at home. so i hand him off and take a bread
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:25 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Count to ten LOL! walk away for a bit and doing breathing exercises. I did this when I was teaching. Imagine having 20 kids doing this at the same time?? IT HELPED! Us primary teachers would say, "it's about keeping the credential!"
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• again again again calm your nerves by calming your ears - cd headset or earplugs. Takes the edge off of loud noises so kids screams and behavior from boredom will be more quiet in your ears which results in a more quiet brain better able to deal with things more calmly.

You HAVE to put up with your kids frustrations, anger, boredom because YOU"RE THEIR PARENT.

Set a ticking egg timer near a room or a chair where you are. When it goes off THEN, after that, you are available.

I've told my kids at times that short of vomiting, bleeding uncontrollably in place or with vomiting that MY TIME is my time. A long time I bought a kids book about a mom needing private time.

My kids learned my signs of needing me time and used to bring me that at times telling me Go MOM go sit for a bit. Sometimes they even would bring it to me when everything was calm!!!!!!

You also, I think, need to tell kids like THEY NEED THEIR TIME YOU TOO.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• not by pinching....
    mommymeg03

Answer by mommymeg03 at 5:08 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• drink
    Anonymous

• Sounds like it time to get out of the house. Go for a walk a drive or put a movie on and have a movie date.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 5:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I'm sure that you didnt mean anything about the pinching so there i wont talk on the pinching and be self righteous like some parents BUT you need a time away from your children about 24hrs to yourself... jjust to clear your mind and do somethings that you want to do.
    jmaiden31

Answer by jmaiden31 at 9:26 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Pinching was an immature response and won't solve anything. That was kinda a reaction that a bully would have. If your child is annoying you that much, then find someone to watch him and leave until you are calmed down. I would NEVER pinch my child (or any other physical reaction) because he was irritating me. Trust me, my son is 13 and can be the biggest pain in the ass, but I have NEVER pinched him. Learn to walk away and ignore him. Do NOT give a reaction, the more you react the more he will irritate you because he knows it bothers you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I give her a job to do. If she is not starved for attention and I know she's just doing it to pester me I put her to cleaning her room or something. That normally sends her off to play. lol.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:27 PM on Feb. 7, 2010