Military question.pref military wives!

ok i will make this short as possible. but my husband leaves in 10 days for the army at fort lenordwood, missouri for his basic and as well as his ait. he will be done by the end june. and his recruiter is out of town at the moment we will give him a call asap. but please if anyone could tell me IF he will come home after AIT( and if you have anyone you know I prefer answers about MARRIED men)-(only bc i know MOST single men after ait go straight to their duty station) to get our command to our first duty station.?(ive heard he will and we will only have about 1-2 weeks to get ready for them moving us and our stuff.... thanks ahead of time

Armywifelovely

Asked by Armywifelovely at 4:22 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Just for Fun

• There are military wives groups here you can ask.
    happytexasCM

Answer by happytexasCM at 4:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Yes, he will get to come home for a bit before he reports to his first duty station. And yes, it won't be much time to get everything ready and moved. i suggest that you start packing while he's in basic just so you can enjoy some quality time with him and you aren't rushing to get everything done. Moving is stressful enough, you may as well make it as easy on yourself as possible. Good luck!
    nicolemstacy

Answer by nicolemstacy at 4:33 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Lets see AIT is comparable to the Air Forces Techinical Training, I think. This was a long time ago but when we got out of AIT/Tech School we could take a short leave and get ready for our duty station. While in school we were making arrangements for the move ourselves such as getting in touch with the movers. What you can do is decide what you want to show up with you and what can wait about 30 days depending on where you will be moved. If it is state side you will probably not have to wait the 30 days for all your things. Call your local Army Base and see what else you can do to help your DH make your move go smoothly.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• My ex and I got married when he was on break from Basic training. He got a leave for the xmas holiday, we married that week. Then he went to ait , we flew down to visit for his graduation and then he went off to his first duty station which, unfortunately was overseas. So we weren't together until they got family housing for us, which was almost a year later in february.

the nice thing I liked about moving was that they paid movers to pack and move all your belongings.
    CinderAmethyst

Answer by CinderAmethyst at 5:02 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When he gets through with AIT he will have to go immediately to his duty station (Army base he was stationed at). They will grant him something called Permissive TDY ( Permissive Temporary Duty) AT THEIR DISCRETION.

Most bases will usually let him take his leave within the first few weeks of being stationed at their post but I have heard that some posts have taken a few months before they allow their incoming married soldiers to take Permissive TDY. It all depends on his company commander.

Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 5:18 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• When my husband finished basic, he went STRAIGHT to CA for his A-School (he's Navy). He could apply for a leave to come home during the time after basic, but was told not to bother unless there was a good reason.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 5:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I would suggest NOT waiting for on post housing to become available. They often have year long waiting lists (according to where he was stationed). I would suggest saving up money and moving very near the military post he will be stationed at as soon as you find out where he will be stationed. Unfortunatly, you won't find out his permanent duty station until he graduates from AIT so you probably can't move BEFORE he graduates.

If you choose to wait for on-post housing you could be waiting for a LONG time and during that time he will have to stay on post.

You could always sign up for on-post hosing and live off post until on-post housing becomes available if you really want to live on post.
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 5:29 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• we waited 2 days for on post housing our first duty station, check the list and call ahead they wil let you know what your up against. sometimes its not a long wait at all.
    82ndairbornewif

Answer by 82ndairbornewif at 5:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Anonymous

• alex and I were stationed at fort bragg and when we came into the Army (four years ago) the waiting list was over a year long...however, fort bragg is undergoing A LOT of major reconstruction when it comes to on post housing which means that the waiting list for THAT post may be very short (due to more on post housing being built). Not ALL bases are undergoing such extensive reconstruction.

As I stated before, it depends on which duty station he gets assigned to. It's better to be safe than sorry!
    Mrs.Mack.

Answer by Mrs.Mack. at 5:37 PM on Feb. 6, 2010