AT THE END OF MY ROPE WITH MY 4YR. OLD DAUGHTER

i CRY ALL THE TIME, i FEEL HELPLESS, i HAVE NO CONTROL, i FEEL BAD FOR HER SIBLINGS, IT EFFECTS THEM AS WELL. nOTHING WORKS, NO TYPE OF DISCIPLINE. tIME OUTS, SMACKING, REWARDING GOOD BEHAVIOR, IGNORING BAD. pLEASE HELP ME. sHE DOESN'T LISTEN, SHE DOES BAD THINGS ON PURPOSE, TODAY, SHE WAS TRYING TO CLINB OUT OF THE WINDOW! REALLY THIS IS TRUE, SHE KNOCKS AROUND HER SIBLINGS, FIGHTS ME AND HER DAD. NOTHING THAT I'VE TRIED HAS WORKED AT ALL, I'VE GIVEN HER EXTRA ATTENTION TO MAKE HER FEEL SPECIAL EVEN, I TRY SO HARD AND IT HURTS SO BAD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Feb. 6, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree that she needs therapy and you need some "me" time. Sounds to me like she might have ADHD or juvinile bipolar disorder. Good luck, I know how hard it is.
    Anonymous

• She's reacting to YOUR negative energy. De-stress yourself and she will calm down

Answer by admckenzie at 4:27 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• wear earplugs or a cd headset to soften her and your other's kids verbal outbreaks.

If you get on tv or on computer - find SuperNanny - either on TLC (The Learning Channel television network) or The Style Network both on tv or computers.

Also on the internet just wordsearch SuperNanny.

My advice is stop feeling sorry for yourself and be the parent that your age says you are and

that the law says you must be. Or you will risk losing your kids.
    lfl

Answer by lfl at 4:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• 4 year olds act on impulse. its not like the way an adult does something mean on purpose

honey you need a behavioural therapist stat to hel you learn better how to handle her
    sati769leigh

Answer by sati769leigh at 4:31 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• It sounds like you can really use some family counseling. Please don't wait - the bigger the child, the bigger the problems.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:35 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• Get her evaluated!!! You also need counseling for yourself to learn how to control your negative feelings and to learn how to destress and calm down. There is nothing wrong with needing help. Family counseling wouldn't hurt.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:53 PM on Feb. 6, 2010

• I absolutely recommend therapy as soon as possible, for you and possibly for her. Crawling out of a window is serious business. Many therapists have a sliding scale. Look into one that does "play therapy". It's very good for toddlers and up. Once you get some support, you'll gain the calmness and confidence you need to parent your DD that you obviously love, or else you wouldn't be so sad for her.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:38 PM on Feb. 6, 2010